Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

My SPICA 2000 has the stock intake, cast manifolds, stock style IMSAF center and mid section and "stinger" style rear. From the cabin it sounds decent but not superlative. I wonder if anyone has comment on different setups and their sound? This is a PURE vanity question. I'm not chasing ponies here. I like cars that sound good. I realize the induction noise of carbs will never be there but started wondering if deleting the rear muffler on an otherwise stock system ("stinger") is actually making the system sound worse ?

I realize its all opinions but curious for yours.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Agreed on the Spica intake noise, but the down side is, drawing warmer area from the engine compartment as opposed to a cooler charge of air from the stock system will somewhat degrade performance, but the added noise provides the impression of more power, and coolness, (albeit not for the intake). Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vintage Milano I think you are talking about running sans air cleaner entirely just to hear it in its glory.

Vabnene I think you are talking about simply removing the cold air snorkle?

I'm gonna try both just for fun but can't see myself doing either long term. I'm not looking for more power from the exhaust but also not looking for less power / more dirt from the intake...

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
There are filters available, many are avaialable used at this point which will, 1. filter the air and 2, have some sort of air runner or trumpet to attach the filters to the rubber boots. Lots of good stuff has been posted on the forum regarding, theories and/or possible solutions to building a better intake, most agree the factory set up is among the best, but Conedriver created a nice intake, that is in all likelihood a little better than stock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was never a fan of the sound of open spica intake or the Shankle air box replacement. I had an Alfetta GT with euro cast iron exhaust stock iron center section and Ansa tailpipe that sounded nice. Not sure what combo of available parts would sound like that.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The SPICA exhaust tone with the rear muffler will be “fluffy” compared to the louder, “raspier” tone of the stinger. Totally subjective opinion...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just remove the air duct between the Spica airbox and the scoop next to the radiator and the tone will change. Of course the duct is there to bring fresh air...

Peter mentioned the Shankle Spica air intake. It was called the Quadraflow. There have been two generations. The later one depicted in this thread used two K&N filters. The earlier one had a one piece filter. They did give a nice roar, but those who used it often complained of excessive noise at cruising speed. It is pretty similar to the sound of Webers with K&N, Ramflo, Warnerford or similar air filters.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
I have the stock Imasaf set up with the GTA Stinger. When the system was brand new it was quieter. With some miles and years added it sounds louder and better. I have experienced a few Alfas that had stock systems and then swap in a Stinger and they all sound better with the Stinger.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It all depends on the center muffler, it's the one who does most of the work.

About 15 years ago, my 1980 Supersprint rear muffler was finally shot. New ones were b/o at all the suppliers on this side of the ocean. I still wanted to run the car, so I went to Crappy Tire, picked up some generic exhaust stuff, and made a "stinger" from what was left of the rear muffler.

Next morning I used the GTV to drive my daughter to school then travel the 50 km to work. On the way to school, my daughter said "Dad, was it always this noisy?" - which it had never been. I dropped her off. Then, getting out of town involved a traffic light just at the entrance of a highway. Almost a 1/4 mile christmas tree. So happens I'm at the pole just next to a BMW 325. Hmmm... light goes green, I fly away. Literally, as the Alfa sounds like an airplane taking off. I see from the corner of my eye a patrol car getting on the highway from a side ramp. I released the throttle and the BMW gained ground. The patrol car passed me, following the BMW. At some point, I saw him loose ground to the BMW - by then he'd figured he was hunting the wrong rabbit. He was still far away enough for me to take the next off ramp and loose him. I drove very carefully to work and came back the same way. Hid the car in the garage until I replaced the muffler.

I later figured the equally old Supersprint center muffler was 1- smaller than the original, 2- was originally glass packed but now totally hollow. So I was running with a straight pipe system.

I stil have the home made stinger. Think I'm going to give it a try. My center muffler is a NOS Eberspacher original.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wes Ingram and Herb built the engine for me and I set up the engine compartment. I set it up with the following:

Cooling: Aluminum radiator with integrated oil cooler (the one Wes Ingram sells)
Oil System: Remote oil filter cooled through radiator with Aeroquip Starlite hose with AN fittings
Ignition System: Electromotive crank fired programmable setup
Spica pump modified for high output engine
Corillo rods, custom lightened pistons
The head was modified to Wes Ingram specs by Wes' guy who does that work
Aluminum fly wheel, Darstan header into custom 2.25" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust, fabricated by Sanderson Headers with 02 bung for tuning
For the crank case ventilation, it was a design 42 oil separator routed back to the sump

Pictured here is with the Spica box, and I also ran it with velocity stacks with screens

The car sounded great with either setup but was a little loud with the stacks, although the Sunday morning guys loved the loud car.

Here's a video of a drive-by:

IMG_3596.jpeg IMG_3599.jpg

I sold the car last year to make room for my V6 conversion project.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wes Ingram and Herb built the engine for me and I set up the engine compartment. I set it up with the following:

Cooling: Aluminum radiator with integrated oil cooler (the one Wes Ingram sells)
Oil System: Remote oil filter cooled through radiator with Aeroquip Starlite hose with AN fittings
Ignition System: Electromotive crank fired programmable setup
Spica pump modified for high output engine
Corillo rods, custom lightened pistons
The head was modified to Wes Ingram specs by Wes' guy who does that work
Aluminum fly wheel, Darstan header into custom 2.25" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust, fabricated by Sanderson Headers with 02 bung for tuning
For the crank case ventilation, it was a design 42 oil separator routed back to the sump

Pictured here is with the Spica box, and I also ran it with velocity stacks with screens

The car sounded great with either setup but was a little loud with the stacks, although the Sunday morning guys loved the loud car.

Here's a video of a drive-by:

View attachment 1631433 View attachment 1631434

I sold the car last year to make room for my V6 conversion project.

HOT **** thats hot!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I actually like the sound of a stinger tailpipe, I guess I was more thinking that I didn’t like the sound of Quadra Flow. But that’s a personal thing I am all for owners getting the sound they like.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes incredible motor and major props for keepin’ it SPICA.

I took a long drive with the snorkle disconnected from the spica airbox, can’t really tell the difference. Reconnecting it now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Spica box is very well engineered and that's the set up I ran most of the time. I would leave the snorkel hooked up.It was a lot of fun building that car.I shipped the engine to Wes and dove up to his shop to pick it up. He could not believe that I built an engine stand and mounted it the back of my Prius C for the drive back to San Francisco. Lots of comments at the gas stations.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Love that pic - have a similar one I looked for but cannot find of me transporting my motor in the back of my crappy 95 ranger.

I just took a short drive with the airbox removed entirely. Two observations

1. it is amazing how much noise the intake air distributor tower makes. Did your mini filter cut down on that vacuum sound?

2. Sounds GREAT. not too loud at cruise or part throttle but fantastic snarl when youre on it. Can you share the details of how you put together your velocity stack and filter arrangement? Was that custom or built from off-the-shelf parts? I could see someway to use the fresh air snorkel to point at the velocity stacks kind of like this
Adjustments.jpg

1 - 20 of 45 Posts