Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider Veloce 2000
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this may have been addressed before, but I'm trying to determine if SPICA came equipped on any other models besides the 2000 and and 1750 Series motors. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1973 Spider Veloce 2000
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew,
Thank you...does this mean it also came on 1600's and 1300's? I'm not sure if those engines were even available for production in the US...reason for my query is that I have an opportunity to purchase a couple of SPICA equipped motors. I've always wanted to do a rebuild, and now I may have my chance. (y)

·
Push hard and live
11,036 Posts
Alfa occasionally does unrecorded things, so I hesitate to use the word "always" where they're considered. However, the dogma is...

Alfa could not meet emissions in the US with carbs, so they ended up installing Spica on the 1750 and 2000 cars intended for the US market. The 1300 and 1600 were not officially imported during those years, so no need to install the injection.

When I was an Alfa parts manager in the early 70s a new Spica pump had a list price of slightly more than a same-year new engine. So, there was no motive to use Spica low-margin cars.

Yes, it was fitted also to the Montreal, which was never offcially imported, and (based upon gas consumption if nothing else) is assumed to be unable to smog-certify in the relevant years. It was also used on the somewhat related 33 Stradale and T33 Race cars, so we might assume that Spica was useful for maximizing horsepower when that was the mission.

Reactions: pennzo

·
Registered
1973 Spider Veloce 2000
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@DPeterson3 ,

Thank you for your insight....I will move forward knowing I have either 2 1750's or two 2000's....short of reaching out to Marco with #'s, it's not important at this point...👍

·
Premium Member
23,009 Posts
Yes, I was unclear. 1750 and 2000 for US only, though some Spica Alfettas left over got sold in Italy. No 1300 or 1600 Spica, other than some race engines with non-street pumps.
Montreal also.
Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts