Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I measured the head height-it is 111,92mm. Looks like it is not decked. If I change the bearings, do I have to change crankshaft and conrod nuts with new ones?

I will do some head porting, with measurements by Jim`s book, but scaled a bit- for spica inlet diameter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Today I took the bottom end apart. Problem. There was quite a few small plastic pieces in the oil pan-looks like one time something fell into the engine. Anyway, I removed pistons, they all heave wear on one side like in the picture. Bigger problem is crankshaft. On the 1st. rod journal there is some wear which I think is not OK. Is is possible to machine it and then harden it? Or maybe just polish? If I look in the oil hole in that journal i can clearly see plastic piece sticking out of one oil hole, probably that why this happened...

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I took the crankshaft to the maschine shop. Turned out that scratches on the journal vere very mild and went out with light polish. Journals are round and in factory specs. Head and the whole intake was mildly ported and also went to the machine shop.

Question: About the oil o-rings (cilinder head-engine block oil holes). Will it be ok if I just replace the black rings, which came with the head gasket, to viton rings with the same measurements?

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Question: About the oil o-rings (cilinder head-engine block oil holes). Will it be ok if I just replace the black rings, which came with the head gasket, to viton rings with the same measurements?

thanks

If someone has experience with this I would be very happy with an answer.

Today I got the pistons and liners, should I replace oil rings with goetze ones ore are this which came with the pistons ok?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
Hastings, Full Circle, Total Seal, other ring makers include three-piece oil rings now, two thin rails plus a wiggly expander in between. My impression from lot of Borgo-piston rebuild is that one-piece cast oil rings do not last. I'd go for three-piece.

Andrew

21 - 30 of 30 Posts