Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfisti, I'm looking at rebuilding my SPICA unit and wanted some advice. The engine is in the original state, runs well although burns some oil. I'd like to get as much bang for the buck. My thoughts are an HP Pump rebuild (Wes Ingram), and a 10.5mm intake cam from Centerline. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Any value in spending the extra bucks on the HP pump and injectors over stock? Also, what is involved on replacing the cam with a bigger one, aside from the R/R? shims for example?

Thanks in advance. car is 69 spider 1750.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
As a long time customer of Wes Ingram, I suggest you contact him with details of how you intend to use the car. I'm sure he will provide excellent advice and not sell you anything you don't need. Note, Wes and Herb had a long backlog for SPICA pumps last year.

Hello Alfisti, I'm looking at rebuilding my SPICA unit and wanted some advice. The engine is in the original state, runs well although burns some oil. I'd like to get as much bang for the buck. My thoughts are an HP Pump rebuild (Wes Ingram), and a 10.5mm intake cam from Centerline. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Any value in spending the extra bucks on the HP pump and injectors over stock? Also, what is involved on replacing the cam with a bigger one, aside from the R/R? shims for example?

Thanks in advance. car is 69 spider 1750.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I spoke to Wes a couple of times, great guy. What I was intending was some real experience from owners who did this. I don't want to spend the cash if the performance isn't really noticeable, yet I would regret not doing it if it is!

Wes's opinion while valid will always be that of the businessman, while many owners have real driving experiences that I would find valuable.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I have an older HP pump further modified beyond this by Wes in two different stages and used in my 1976 Autocross spider. The engine, with mild cams, runs with no abnormal characteristics and responds to standard SPICA tuning techniques. I do use an oxygen sensor and gauge for fine tuning the mixture close to stoichiometric air-fuel ratio. I installed the pump many years ago along with other ongoing modifications so it's difficult to remember any performance changes just from the HP pump. In conversations with Wes, he mentioned a the tendency of the SPICA to run lean at very high RPM and I think the HP changes address this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts