Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh, two steps forwards, 3 steps back.

Last weekend I adjusted the cam timing to 102/102 (or as close as I can get). The distributor lock nut had loosened up, so I adjusted the timing a bit and locked it down. After the work she ran better than ever.

Yesterday, she wouldn't start. Same thing today. Granted it's cold out, but it started in cold weather like this before.

I tried tweaking the timing a bit with limited success, but still no start.

So, any tips from the experts on what to check to see if I can get her started? Set timing at static mark, or advance it?

Plugs are practically new. I adjusted and cleaned the points a few months ago. She has a stock distributor with an MSD 5A on it.

I know SPICA needs to be checked again after the cam timing, but adjusting the SPICA assumes you can start it.

Next up I'll try some starting fluid just to get her started and warmed up at least, set the timing, then check the SPICA settings.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Have you confirmed that you have spark at the plugs still before moving on to fuel?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Double check to be sure the firing order is correct, and set the static timing to spec.

I'm assuming that the fuel low pressure warning light is extinguished. . . . correct???

If it doesn't fire up, at least initially, with Starter Fluid, then it's spark for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to static time it and double check for spark, but it would run on 1 or 2 cylinders with the throttle open a bit, but when I tried to take my foot off it would die.

It was super humid here yesterday (went from 32 to 50 degrees overnight, condensation everywhere) so the cap/rotor might have gotten wet.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to close this out. A fully charged battery, new NGK plugs, and pushing her into a warmer and dry garage worked wonders. Fired right up.

I'm thinking the moisture in the air plus fouled plugs was the issue.

Drove her in today!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Great! (now keep driving her - lol)

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, punishing me for letting her sit. We just sold the third car, so I can get back to the master plan of tuning her, then making her more enjoyable as a daily driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts