Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spica Belt Noise?? Any ideas what it could be?

I just recently had the spica belt changed. I was told that the new belt for the spica is very tight and the noise will go away after some time and the belt is broken in.

Has any one experienced this?

·
Registered
348 Posts
No....Then every new car built back then would make noise !

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Has any one experienced this?
Not me. What kind of noise? I don't expect a toothed belt is likely to squeak. Is it a rubbing sound? Most of us Spica owners have removed the belt guard since it has a reputation of trapping gravel that can damage the belt.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
How do you know it's the injection pump belt. Have you tried removing the fan belt and running the engine to see if the noise goes away?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both the spica belt and fan belt where changed at the same time.

Do you think it could be the fan belt?

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
It depends... send it to me for a month or two and I will let you know. No charge!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Both the spica belt and fan belt where changed at the same time.

Do you think it could be the fan belt?
It's a lot more likely. Loosen the alternator and remove the fan belt from the crankshaft pulley. That will eliminate generator, water pump, and fan noise. It won't hurt to run the engine for a minute or two with the water pump not pumping.

With the belt off, turn the water pump and alternator and feel for bad bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Perhaps just a loose rattling shroud? It's a booger to tighten the three nuts.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is short video. I hope you can here the sound. Spica, water pump, alternator...?

If this video is not helpful I can try to take another one.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alternator and water pump are good. Used some belt dressing on the spica belt but still have noise.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Frank - are you sure you know what you're talking about? The SPICA belt is toothed - belt "dressing" is of no use. It also has no tensioner, it's a short low stress drive that just fits on there snug and the only thing that can break it is ANYTHING that gets between it and the sprocket. It WILL bust at that point but still no noise - even the engine quits at that point.

Here's a tip: if you drop the nut that holds the distributor in make sure you find it. Because if you don't I can almost guarantee you that it's laying on that belt and your engine isn't going to start next time. AMHIK

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
What I hear in your video sure doesn't sound like belt noise. I heard a mid-range (around 800 Hz?) sort of ringing or howl that could be a bearing going out. Water pump or alternator maybe? The mechanic that replaced your belts should be able to put a stethoscope on it to locate it. Just how tight is that fan belt? If it's too tight it may be putting an excessive load on an already worn bearing. Good luck.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fan belt has correct tension. Checked with stethoscope and waterpump and alternator were ok.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems to be an issue with the Spica pulley. It doesn't completely turn freely. At one section you feel a slight resistance and if you move it back and forth at the spot you can hear a squeak.

Also the pulley is a bit off. Not square to the pump.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts