Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something to push onto the Spica airbox lip under the lid. The stock rubber is some small u-channel rubber. There has to be something similar out there easy to find, no?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
As a result of your post, I realized mine is missing!!

I'll monkey around and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Check out Steele Rubber Products or Mcmaster Carr Both have u shaped rubber trim in bulk

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
generic edge trim should work. like those door edge guards. I'm planning to try that since mine is old and brittle. I suspect a hair dryer or heat gun might be needed to coax it thru the bends.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My measurements of the existing rubber show roughly the same outside measurements. The airbox wall is about 1 mm, though. I wonder if this would be loose, therefore. Probably not looser than the old decrepit piece there still remains and it's held in place by the lid anyway. So, I'm tempted to buy this.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
I wonder if you could use some vacuum hose? just carefully split it long ways with a utility knife? it's usually very pliable and should mold around the curves easily.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
My measurements of the existing rubber show roughly the same outside measurements. The airbox wall is about 1 mm, though. I wonder if this would be loose, therefore. Probably not looser than the old decrepit piece there still remains and it's held in place by the lid anyway. So, I'm tempted to buy this.
If it's a tad loose.....use a little bit of some Black RTV and let it fully cure before installing the cover.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it arrived. Looks to be a pretty good match and is very soft. The old one on the right is hard an brittle.

20200404_182556.jpg

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
got some scrap door edge guard from a friend...was about the same size as the stock seal but there are probably a couple different sizes out there so maybe I lucked out...fit right on and around all the curves just fine. had both ends meet at the one "corner" on the air box.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As @0die mentioned, I too used door edge guards from Autozone on mine. It's not exactly a soft rubber, but provided a more than adequate seal on my spica air box. I've been using it for over two years and it seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts