Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I don't have a diagram like that, but I bet a PM to Papajam might clear things up. My guess, and this is only a guess, would be that since the later canister shows the intake tube, the earlier would have shown it if there was one.

Even with the intake tube, my car seems to have a bit more zip at cooler temperatures as well.

Is part # 105.51.08.230.00 (the hose) the same for both the 1750 and 2000?

The appearance in the diagram is that of the hose on my '77 (aside from the duct tape), but am wondering about diameter.

Is there a source for this Alfa hose?

I believe they're exactly the same, the only difference being the nameplate riveted on. I repainted a 2000 airbox and attached a 1750 nameplate in its place. I saw no difference between that and the original 1750 airbox, and the intake hose fit the same.

Just to clarify on a couple things here.

The 1969 (Series 1) and 1971 (Series 2) airboxes are not the same. Not only are the intake snorkels different but so are the idle air circuits. The 69 has two idle equalizers mounted on the box while the 71 has a single airhose fitting to feed the idle air distributor mounted on top of the intake manifold. And if memory serves, my 69 GTV also had the fuel drain hoses on the bottom of the box.

With the dual servo setup on the 69s, there was no room on the left side of the engine bay to mount the coolant recovery bottle. So it stayed on the right side like the Euro cars (after the switch to right side air cleaners). This meant a down pointed snorkel pulling in engine bay air. With the introduction of hanging pedals (with single servo) on the Series 2 cars, the recovery bottle could now be moved to the left side thereby making room for a cold air intake.

Boy, am I coming late to this party, but why start a new thread when a perfectly good one with lots of information already exists.
On my 79 Spider the air intake tube goes over the valve cover to an exhaust manifold cover (there must be a better name) for the purposes of sucking in warm air coming off the manifold when the engine is cold or fresh air with a warm engine.
Both the manifold cover and exhaust manifold are gone, along with the air pump, as headers were installed. Consequently, there is no need for the air intake tube to go over the valve cover as the end now just dangles somewhat obscenely over the headers.
I assume I can now put on a straight air intake tube to bring in air from behind grill as in the earlier cars. Is there a bracket for holding the air intake tube or should I try to fabricate something that doesn't look like I fabricated it?

No bracket needed, it just sits there. No clamps needed either.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Might as well poke holes in a half tennis ball and stick that on there if going that route as it'll flow about as well and doesn't cost nearly as much.[/QUOTE]

Funny, but so true.

I've always thought, cool air is better than hot, so why put any filter inside the engine compartment to "intake" the hot air of the compartment? No matter how many$'s are spent, it isn't going to cool the air, is it? correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the design of the plenum collecting the outside air was well thought by the design. just my opinion :closedeyes:

Might as well poke holes in a half tennis ball and stick that on there if going that route as it'll flow about as well and doesn't cost nearly as much.
Funny, but so true.

I've always thought, cool air is better than hot, so why put any filter inside the engine compartment to "intake" the hot air of the compartment? No matter how many$'s are spent, it isn't going to cool the air, is it? correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the design of the plenum collecting the outside air was well thought by the design. just my opinion :closedeyes:[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I just did this on my Sport sedan. Rigged a hose to go from the Spica air cleaner inlet to behind the grill.

Oh, and I found some 3" flexible aluminum dryer vent at the local Ace hardware that worked nicely for the hose, more than enough for 2 cars for $8. The car seems a bit peppier with it installed.

Dude, my CAI totally gave me a 10 hp gain, I can totally feel it!
3"?? My SPICA box (1974 intake style, one hole) has a 60 mm OD. Summit Racing has this and it's $11 for 5ft at 2.5" (63.5 mm) OD. Haven't bought it yet as I just found this intake in my old parts. My current Spider had the one with the giant mess of metal tubes for the emissions system (a system which some PO had completely removed and tossed). I expect a 15 hp gain, 10 from the CAI and 5 from weight reduction by removal of the metal tubes and increased air space in the engine compartment ;).

3"?? My SPICA box (1974 intake style, one hole) has a 60 mm OD. Summit Racing has this and it's $11 for 5ft at 2.5" (63.5 mm) OD. Haven't bought it yet as I just found this intake in my old parts. My current Spider had the one with the giant mess of metal tubes for the emissions system (a system which some PO had completely removed and tossed). I expect a 15 hp gain, 10 from the CAI and 5 from weight reduction by removal of the metal tubes and increased air space in the engine compartment ;).
Don't forget to apply the decals provided with your purchase. 5 more horses right there!!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.