Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace the airbox with individual airhorn type filters Has anyone done that? I think they would look cooler/neater than that round box. Anyone have a source for such an item?
oh by the way I am in Alaska and have a74 200 GTV

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
That's ok, but expect decreased performance. The stock airbox has tuned intake horns and is extremely hard to beat efficiency-wise.

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
pickeljr said:
I would like to replace the airbox with individual airhorn type filters Has anyone done that?
You are describing a product that used to be made/sold by Shankle called the "Quadra Flow". One sold about a month ago on ebay for $99 - see auction #161614462178 for photos.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Correct. I did a back-to-back chasis dynamometer test some years back, and the Shankle Quadraflow only bested the stock airbox at a very narrow rev range, and by just 2-3 HP. The stock airbox was much better for overall performance. However, the esteemed Wes Ingram has identified "6 inch Kinsler ram tubes attach directly to the Spica Throttle bodies. The velocity ram tubes increase power and torque over the hard to beat factory air box". You can view these under "High performance race components" on his website Ingram Enterprises, Inc. || High Performance Race Components I have these air horns on my autocross car with a cold air box as suggested by Wes, but without an air filter

That's ok, but expect decreased performance. The stock airbox has tuned intake horns and is extremely hard to beat efficiency-wise.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
The front flap may be not working correctly or stuck. I've taken them out. You may want to check this. It will hurt the performance to change the stock box unless you plan to race your car and drive her with no air filters, but the stock box is the best! The sound it makes is what makes it a unique car! Don't waste your money, buy some new paper filters, NO junk stuff and enjoy your car!

·
Administrator
448 Posts
I do use a K&N Filter ( E 2040 you need two ) in my Stock Filter Housing and it allows a much better air flow then the paper filter..

Salutations

Bernhard

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
couldn't find that auction picture?
Try looking at the bottom of the page at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-1750-2000-Shankle-Quadraflow-Air-Intake-Filters-/161614462178?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D161614462178%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=kp7E2EcZugziABS71eI8EgEys4Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Anyhow, finding the picture of a Quadra Flow from that ebay auction isn't essential. You might also search the BB or general Internet for a photo.

The point is that about 20 years ago, such a product did exist. If you want one, you could either try to find a used Quadra Flow system or else fabricate something from tubing + a pair of K&N filters.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
It's right in front of the main air intake, the piece you remove to change the filters. It's controlled by a vacuum unit underneath.
Sorry don't have a picture, but it's obvious.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Sorry your car doesn't have this flap like my cars. Perhaps they were on later versions.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Something like this? Spica Custom Fuel Injection Air Box

It definitely looks homemade to me.
This is a Spica box with the top cut off. The only way it would produce more hp is that there are no filters slowing the flow. It was probably done to expose the cool looking horns.

The flap must be referring to the hot air intake redirect operated by a vacuum line that the later intakes had. It's built in to an extension on the front lid of the Spica box. I know the Alfettas had them. His 74 GTV would not have one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts