Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
also remember, even if you find someone who says, yes I've got the "silver Fispa decal", make sure it is the right one: the filter numbers for the normal gray Spica box (photo 1), and the black air box (photo 2&3) are different, yet look, at first glance, similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Why not just completely remove the thing. I mean it's real purpose was for maintenance shops and when it comes time to order a new set of air filter elements who among us goes out and looks at their FSPA sticker? :001_unsure:

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
I've had this debate with myself and sevaeral others. These were the things we immediately stripped off of our cars as soon as we bought them to "despunkify" them. Run-in stickers, how to operate a 105 heater flap, etc. Some were useful if yoiunhad a short memory or lived in Botswana. So why replace them now? But we/I do. I guess I lost that argument with myself . . . . or won . . . .

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Decals. Have them. Still make them upon request. Still have Alfas. Fast ones...white ones! And recently been working on putting back together a 93 Spider Veloce in Verde Inglese. But that Ferrari does take my attention from time to time. In all honesty the real job expansion of duties, the 2011 convention and now the AROC Ad Chair position dictated time constraint wise pulling back the decals off ebay. Just don't have as much time to dedicate towards that side activity. And I really hate to have those up for sale when I cannot create the kit and get it on its way in a timely fashion. I also apologize to those trying to reach me via PM as it wasn't working for awhile as my membership lapsed and it was full. But its back again. What can I say, I'm a PM hoarder and have 800+ on the system!:D BTW, the next time I let it lapse my email is jmduncan01 at aol dot com.

The Fispa decals are available for $10 each. These are the foil ones. There are several different versions. If you have any of your original remaining, its important to note the TIPO number and filter number.

I can do waterslide decals like on a 69 box, but those are done differently and must be clear painted over after installed. Just to comment on Bruce's picture, that decal doesn't appear to be opaque yellow, but translucent yellow. Those have to be printed white opaque, then yellow to make look like the original silk screening. Once painted over with clear coat, it will last as long as the clear coat does. These type of waterslide decals can be used to restore anything that looks like silk screening. They are extremely handy for items like series 4 antenna bezel alfa roundels, or a Ferrari 308/328 airbox, FISPA filter housing tags and cannisters, and 1750 fispa airbox (spica cars). They are quite nifty when done right.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
Glad you are still alive John. We were going to send out the dogs . . .

Good tip on he waterslide clearcoat. Mine shriveled up like a raisin. That was a pic when new.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Glad you are still alive John. We were going to send out the dogs . . .

Good tip on he waterslide clearcoat. Mine shriveled up like a raisin. That was a pic when new.
No dogs necessary. Just crazy busy with real work. Expanded territory. Another line. More responsibility. More paper trail. Same pay! :D

Waterslides can have some trial and error to them. First, no clear, no last. Second, some clears are not compatible. But when done right they end up looking like that airbox, or Chuck's auction $pider's filter housing. That fispa tag on top is actually waterslide too printed with metallic resin. I've done some neat decals over the years for people like the Borrani/Fergat wheel decals. Fun stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Responding to:

"Does anyone reproduce the 1750 or 2000 plates for the airbox?"

I have been seeking a reproduction of the SPICA metal plate for the airbox as well, and have posted another thread about it too. All with no luck finding a source. So seeing the interest here, I write simply to chime in again about the interest out there in the market for a source for these-in particular a 1750 version!

Anyone........???????

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I understand this is a year old but has anything more been found for either decals or metal plate on the Spica airbox?

Looks like decal man John M disappeared about this same time.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I'm working on a repro, but I need to source a really good quality 2000 label or it will take more time.

Sorry its been so long, it kind of took to the backburner as other issues have developed with the "fleet"

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Thanks Elite, I'm looking for one for a 1750.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
You know, I am in the printing business, in fact we do labels.

I just don't have time to deal with the artwork.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
The drawings for the 1750 are done, now waiting for the 2000 to be finished. It's extremely tedious, wish I knew if this is a specific font.

Does anyone know if the numbers on the bottom of the 2000 label had any variations?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There were at least four or five slight (and I mean slight) variants of the Spica label, with differing part numbers. IIRC it was only the last digit that changed. Somewhere on the BB is a thread with images of these and many other labels.

Has anyone tried reaching John? I had hoped to see him at the convention; he had expressed an interest in maybe buying my Vespa. Might be time to email him.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts