Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen -
It is likely that unless something changes, I will terminate my association with the ALFABB after almost 16 years. The new format is clunky and poorly laid-out and the attitude of the owners and moderator is "like it or lump it." I guess I'll "lump it."

I have enjoyed trying to help all of you with your SPICA cars as well as the 164 with all the technical guides I've written and posted, as well as the personal advice.

If anyone has a suggestion for a new BB that I might "migrate" to, I'd be willing to take a look at it. In the meantime, I'll check back here from time to time until my premium membership runs out, but don't expect a response. You can try and reach me personally at Roadtrip1980 [at] gmail.com and I'll try to help as time permits.

John . . . . . aka Roadtrip

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
In the for what it's worth department and this being my first time on the new format I am inclined to agree with you. What I miss is the tagline that highlighted recent responses. That really was helpful. I remember when I first joined you were one of the first people to help me and I thank you for that.

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
Gentlemen -
It is likely that unless something changes, I will terminate my association with the ALFABB after almost 16 years. The new format is clunky and poorly laid-out and the attitude of the owners and moderator is "like it or lump it." I guess I'll "lump it."

I have enjoyed trying to help all of you with your SPICA cars as well as the 164 with all the technical guides I've written and posted, as well as the personal advice.

If anyone has a suggestion for a new BB that I might "migrate" to, I'd be willing to take a look at it. In the meantime, I'll check back here from time to time until my premium membership runs out, but don't expect a response. You can try and reach me personally at Roadtrip1980 [at] gmail.com and I'll try to help as time permits.

John . . . . . aka Roadtrip
The sad thing John is that the people in charge won't give a hoot about people like you leaving. They don't care about content so long as it is not "offensive".
In the for what it's worth department and this being my first time on the new format I am inclined to agree with you. What I miss is the tagline that highlighted recent responses. That really was helpful. I remember when I first joined you were one of the first people to help me and I thank you for that.

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
The sad thing John is that the people in charge won't give a hoot about people like you leaving. They don't care about content so long as it is not "offensive".

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Ed, unfortunately, I'm afraid you're right. It's a shame that the once great BB that Simon Mestes started will probably devolve into meaningless social blather.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow, it'd be a shame to lose members like you, Roadtrip. You've definitely helped navigate the Alfa owner waters. I thought I was the only one that found this new format mind-numbingly awkward. I'm trying to stick it out for now, since there is many individuals that are wonderful resources.

·
Administrator
16,456 Posts
... and the attitude of the... moderator is "like it or lump it."
To clarify, none of your moderators had anything to do with or any say about the change over and none of us has the attitude quoted above. One post about the change from a moderator was meant to let y'all know that we do not have the power to change what had been decided by the owners of the BB (AutoGuide). We can all either whine & complain (which will likely have little/no positive effect), leave (which will have no positive effect) or learn to work with what we got.

I recall a lot of gnashing of teeth when there were changes in 'the way it's always been' in the past. We learned to work with it then, we can do so again.

I do hope none of you leave.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,340 Posts
The 4C and Giulia forums underwent this change several months ago, so I am used to it by now. I'm of the opinion that it's like any software upgrade, the new format has its benefits but a few things are not quite as nice or as intuitive as the old format.

I agree it would be a shame to lose you over this John!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I don't know, it took me ten years just to sign up to the BB because I felt that it had been too militant about displacing the Alfa Digest out of existence.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I don't know, it took me ten years just to sign up to the BB because I felt that it had been too militant about displacing the Alfa Digest out of existence.
I was thinking along the same lines. I don't know about "militant" but it wasn't cool for Simon to appropriate the alfa-digest mailing list that Richard had worked hard on developing since the 80's. Fact was though, it was a much more useful format and Simon seemed to be a pretty good steward of it during his tenure. I imagine it's not easy to maintain a platform that was developed twenty years ago. It's not just a matter of "If it ain't broke...." Probably more like how long can you kludge things together to keep it working. I don't think there's any way that Windows 98 (the MS operating system in use when the AlfaBB debuted) could handle 2019 internet traffic. I'm not much of a computer guy but that seems to be the case with older platforms.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, go ahead and label me a malcontent, but the truth is that this roll-out is pathetically amateurish. IMHO, the moderators should have resigned en-masse in protest and not been apologists and excuse makers for this incompetence. Unfortunately, I don't think Auto-whatever really cares about the ALFA BB, per se. It's just another revenue source that has a captive niche group. The jury is still out, but I'm not holding out much hope given the response from them so far.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
The facts are in the putting. Me, the grumpy ole Uncle has had his say on the onset and he's still here. The upside is I can still read your posts in a timely fashion. It's not as easy as skimming a newspaper and choosing which column to read or pass over, yet I do have access to the news that interests me. Clicking is not as efficient as "skimming" with the eyes.but it is what it is and some learning to be most efficient will take some time. Moreover, on the upside, 1) My desktop icon clicks- to- open still works without signing in everytime ... I remain signed in .. even when the site is exited. 2) My Adblocker continues to do it's job without interference and I never see ANY ads that seem to pester folks and I DON'T pay for it nor any high falutin subscription upgrades (I never saw a purpose for that in the first place other than some badge on a profile and to pad the coffers of the management) 3) I've read all the posts over the carnage of this "upgrade" without missing a meal, a good cigar, and a ****tail.......In summary, life is too short to be grumpy over this. The world is full of grumpy events that require far more testosterone to solve. My message today to those who want to bail out of a perfectly good airplane is to deal with it and give it a chance before hitting the silk and the ripcord. I've made far more allies here than enemies..I THINK!... The BB has tied me to a a great group of people on the whole who I would never had met and without it i would have more time to biitch about the world events which make my stomach churn. I'd encourage those who will be missed to hang in there and give the mods a break. They are on our side. It's going to be okay. Uncle

·
Out of the office!
11,270 Posts
Well, go ahead and label me a malcontent, but the truth is that this roll-out is pathetically amateurish. IMHO, the moderators should have resigned en-masse in protest and not been apologists and excuse makers for this incompetence. Unfortunately, I don't think Auto-whatever really cares about the ALFA BB, per se. It's just another revenue source that has a captive niche group. The jury is still out, but I'm not holding out much hope given the response from them so far.

Good grief, John.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts