Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Steve,
I only took a few... I think you get talking and the camera/phone stays in your pocket!

The AROCA (vic site) had a few more pics in the current magazine. They usually have the magazine on their site (PDF version) but I notice they
haven't updated it yet.

Cheers.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the photos.
I'm not sure how many people are restoring cars now days as cars can take a long time to sort out.

I understand there was an enormous amount of inspection work done with under car inspections on a hoist. Apart from mechanical correctness, just wondering if cars were checked for under-body tar placement to factory specifications.

With so much miss information in the past (i.e. prior 2018), I would not be surprised if some cars that were considered restored in the past have been presenting with interior colours/materials that were not an option for the car as per factory parts manuals.

With the tendency for insurance companies to be present at these type of events, so you can easily ask them questions about how you can insure your car be it to factory specifications or not.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Steve,
Yeah, those entering their cars for the concourse judging, get processed on a hoist the afternoon prior to the show.

There are normally only a handful of cars that enter the concourse standard judging. I haven't inspected them underneath
but the cars outwardly appear correct (haven't seen many with incorrect trim for example).

I remember a 1750 S2 coupe some years ago that absolutely nailed it, bolt finishes, brightwork, metal surfaces all spot on.

But it was a trailer queen.

I had a Falcon GT for a while and that crowd (muscle cars) take their judging to the nth' degree, for example overspray
needed to be applied as per the factory! Every nut & bolt needs to be correct, fastener, screw etc.

They have a lot more (parts etc.) available to them than we do.

Cheers.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Australian production of Falcons has had many benefits from the larger numbers of production and lower cost compared to the Alfas, to the first hand details passed on from Falcon production/assembly plant workers. I've spoken to a few Falcon owners involved in restoration and there are people who were also buying original cars an a number of cars to build up their knowledge base before they started their restoration.
Even thou there were quite a few Alfa Romeos around in Australia in the past there was not that many to allow allot of people to build up their knowledge base when the time came for the car to be restored say lately. Plus the errors in translating the Italian parts catalogue to English was not picked up until recently, so it's no wonder there are not many restored Alfa Romeos in Australia. We are probably 10-20 years behind compared to the Falcon community. It just depends on what is important to owners. I've heard numerous people say what they will spend to restore a car, but the reality is it could still not be restored. Like you said over spray (for Alfas the under-body tar placement to factory specifications, that few bother to reinstate). In the next 10-20 years the concourse judging/knowledge will no doubt get better as well.

·
Administrator
12,197 Posts
Heck if we had to restore Alfa 105s paint to the correct quality, we would be then restoring the poor car again in 5 maybe 10 years time.

There was NO paint on the inside of my bulkhead, etc. ... although I might be getting confused with my Sud (now bake bean cans).

So thank God we are not into Falcons
Pete

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well the Italian Govt (Alfa Romeo factory) may have thought why waste final paint on the inside of the car (it was dipped in primer?) when it's destined for scrap metal recycling in less than 12 years. Your Sud's steel panels may have been from a 105 to start with.
Well it's not about the Falcon but the merit of the information collection/research/resources that has been developed for it. This information collection/research/resources I think also exits for some other popular cars around the world. Cars like the Mustang, E-type and VW. It's just taken allot longer for the 105.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts