Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Mike,

actually it should read:

Where'd be mah Alpha Romero parked at, or something like that.

When I am in Seattle next time I would really like to see your breathtakingly
gorgeous Giulia Sedan. Theee BEST color combo there is.

If you make it down here we can have a drive in the Sud or in the 90. :) :) :) :)

Happy holidays

Hans

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Its all the printing presses falt! Before that you sounded it out. Now we have to type too! Also meny on these sites are from all over the world. and This is not there 1st Lang. .
Heck I can not even read my own stuff, so its very frustating for some of us who are some what limited. for what ever reason, stroke, health, 2nd language, what ever.
Spell check would be nice. My computer is so old it does not have spell check, Now thats a outrage!
It will help but not cure to have spell check.
Just today I was reading a post and did not know what a Dizzy was from our friends down under. afetr a few times I think its a distributor.
Well just 2 cents from one of the worst writers here
Happy Holidays

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
On some Alfas the hood lock is at the firewall,and VEERY difficult to get at. I have wired an "emergancy" release cable through a hole in the firewall into the driver's compartment on every Alfa I have had since the cable broke on a 2600 sprint I had some 30 years ago.
Yeah, us misspellers, and those who don't consistently punctuate, end sentences in prepositions, and consistenly run-our-sentences-on are a real shame to our mommas.

I suggest a new area where those of us whom were edjumacated can diagaram sentences. Me thinks it will be a hit.

·
Premium Member
26,698 Posts
I was not raised on phonetics and spelling is not my strong suit but I can usually spot a misspelled word and can live with it. But, that being said, things like CAP LOCK or all lower case seems like a easy way out for those who have somewhat of a digital impairment.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Alfisto Steve said:
I was not raised on phonetics and spelling is not my strong suit but I can usually spot a misspelled word and can live with it. But, that being said, things like CAP LOCK or all lower case seems like a easy way out for those who have somewhat of a digital impairment.
HI,

WERE DO U SEE THE PROBLEM WITH TAHT???
when people wants to make a important point than the use all capitol letters

Sorry, I could not resist. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Happy holidays from Oceanside, CA

Hans

·
Registered
54 Posts
Part time pedantry

To all alfisti who wince in the presence of mangled spelling, punctuation and grammar, I can recommend the excellent:

"Eats shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss

A great Christmas read for the part time pedant ... :eek:

Eugene

PS. Available in the UK. Don't know about the States.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
More Spellink issues

Hey gang, lots of great commentary and jokes here.
I accept the informality of the Forum,although some posts are difficult to understand. Usually I can figure who doesn't have English as a first language and it's great they attempt it at all, good on them. However, what amazes me is how severly pissed off some folks get when you point it out to them. I'll usually ask only when the spelling has changed the meaning and I get confused.
But of course, this is rarely acknowledeged with a "thank you for noticing" and one is usually accused of being an "a..h.le",or "you're breaking my ba..s" or "you always think you're right".
Blame it on society? No just lazy people who think a "well you know what I mean " is sufficient to communicate, it is not. We have a language so we can COMMUNICATE not guess about it. Has anyone ever been accused of being a bad person because they spell correctly? No! just when they point out someone else can't. Just because we get older doesn't mean we get "stupider" (probably not even a word,maybe just.. more stupid or even better...... ignorant). It seems to me I learn something every day so why should one's spelling get worse instead of better as we get more practice as we get older. Please just make an effort!
Is it any wonder Americans don't read operators manuals since they are translated inhouse (in a foriegn country) instead of by multilingual speakers familiar with the market it is meant for.
3 quick stories.
In Japan, at the local government facility to get one's orange card (their version of our green card) the counter lines were identified in 2 languages, Japanese and English (supposedly for foriegners) in very nicely designed hanging graphics. I understood the Japanese copy but the English copy made little sense. When I pointed out to "information desk personnel" that I could not understand their provided English as an English speaker. I was told it wasn't for me but for Japanese people and that they understood it perfectly. Go figure..
On one website I asked if the author (Aussie) in a private email so as to not embarras them, if they mispelled their "signature catch phrase" by accident or as a double entendre? , well..., excuse....... me they got pissed off, accused me of "having a lot of nerve and being a typical American who doesn't speak English anyway" and then removed their catch phrase instead of just correcting it. Go figure.
15 years ago I played a game of checkers with a Californian high school graduating senior who lived across the street. A great kid, but confused, as he announced to me that he had "WON" me. When I pointed out that he "beat" me but did not "win" me as I was not a prize (oh how true) he did not understand the difference. This is very serious compared to "May I" or "Can I" routine we have all been tortured with by our mentors.
no saint here,
R.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I was going to stay out of this discussion, but I can not. If you are going to complain about how others spell, you should make sure that you spell correctly in your complaint. Let's look at the message above as an example, and I have picked this message for no other reason than it is the last message. I found thirteen spelling/punctuation errors. For example: Spellink, should this be Spelling? There should be a "space" after a comma or period. Acknowledeged should be Acknowledged. Foriegn should be foreign. Severly should be severely. Mispelled should be misspelled.

I found these errors and others by taking the message and pasting it into Microsoft Word. Since there is not a spell checker presently on the board as we draft our messages, this could be a simple solution. You don't even have to use Microsoft Word, any word processor would do.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Are you guys serous? Did I sign up at the wrong website? I thought this bulletin board was about cars. Should spelling and grammar even be a consideration here? Shouldn’t all folks interested in Alfas, even poor spellers, feel welcome and respected? I’m a 41-year-old poor speller. I’m also not the most articulate writer in the world, but I do have a 1973 Alfa GTV that I happen to love and, it gives me great pleasure to hang out with my Dad on Sundays working on it. By the way, who decided that spelling is a benchmark for intelligence? I read recently that emails with the highest amount of grammatical error and misspelled words tend to be written by more successful people. I’m a poor speller but I have a couple of decent college degrees and a respectable career… I also have a love for Alfas.

POOR SPELLERS AND ALFA LOVERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
GregTV said:
....Did I sign up at the wrong website? I thought this bulletin board was about cars. Should spelling and grammar even be a consideration here? .......
Greg, no you did not join the wrong board. There are forums here for comments and suggestion about things other than cars as well, including probable/suggested upgrades to the board itself. I believe the original intent of this particular thread was to see about getting a spell checker for the whole board. I just got tired of reading the complaints and was making a feable attempt in my previous posting at a possible solution for those that care about such things as spelling.

·
Premium Member
26,698 Posts
OK R how do you spell mispell? Here is your post with just the misspelled words in bold type and some grammatical errors highlighted, too.

Spell and grammar checks are handy tools.

"Hey gang, lots of great commentary and jokes here.
I accept the informality of the Forum,although some posts are difficult to understand. Usually I can figure who doesn't have English as a first language and it's great they attempt it at all, good on them. However, what amazes me is how severly pissed off some folks get when you point it out to them. I'll usually ask only when the spelling has changed the meaning and I get confused.
But of course, this is rarely acknowledeged with a "thank you for noticing" and one is usually accused of being an "a..h.le",or "you're breaking my ba..s" or "you always think you're right".
Blame it on society? No just lazy people who think a "well you know what I mean " is sufficient to communicate, it is not. We have a language so we can COMMUNICATE not guess about it. Has anyone ever been accused of being a bad person because they spell correctly? No! just when they point out someone else can't. Just because we get older doesn't mean we get "stupider" (probably not even a word,maybe just.. more stupid or even better ignorant). It seems to me I learn something every day so why should one's spelling get worse instead of better as we get more practice as we get older. Please just make an effort!
Is it any wonder Americans don't read operators manuals since they are translated inhouse (in a foriegn country) instead of by multilingual speakers familiar with the market it is meant for.
3 quick stories.
In Japan, at the local government facility to get one's orange card (their version of our green card) the counter lines were identified in 2 languages, Japanese and English (supposedly for foriegners) in very nicely designed hanging graphics. I understood the Japanese copy but the English copy made little sense. When I pointed out to "information desk personnel" that I could not understand their provided English as an English speaker. I was told it wasn't for me but for Japanese people and that they understood it perfectly. Go figure..
On one website I asked if the author (Aussie) in a private email so as to not embarras them if they intended to mispell their "signature catch phrase" on purpose or as a double entendre? , well..., excuse....... me they got pissed off, accused me of "having a lot of nerve and being a typical American who doesn't speak English anyway" and then removed their catch phrase instead of just correcting it. Go figure.
15 years ago I played a game of checkers with a Californian high school graduating senior who lived across the street. A great kid, but confused, as he announced to me that he had "WON" me. When I pointed out that he "beat" me but did not "win" me as I was not a prize (oh how true) he did not understand the difference. This is very serious as opposed to "May I" or "Can I" routine we have all been tortured with by our mentors.
no saint here,
R."

Hope you take this critique in a joyful manner.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Steve and Gifford,
Thanks for noticing! but I wish you had not wasted any of your time in spell checking for me. At risk of repeating myself, no saint here. Gifford, I'm disappointed,I would have thought the first Spellink was a tip off. I think you have said it concisely in your follow up to Greg, we need a built in spell check. I have learned the hard way, for myself, to not leave the forum to cut and paste as many times I have lost longwinded diatribes to the black hole. This is partially a difficulty in bulletin board formats and a more serious disconnect between my left and right brain.When I've truly mangled a word , I'll go to "Outlook" and use its spell check.
However, I did correct most of the mispelllllls. I even went thru the routine of i before e (?) except after c in the word foriegn and settled on the incorrect version, that was a 50/50 visual call as neither one looked better than the other.
As for bolding the 15 is that a new rule? Back in the day I wasn't allowed to take typing as I was on a "college track" and was assured I would have a secretary,I'm still waiting! I still can't get paragraphs to indent easily where I want them, although I'm sure there's a section on that in here somewhere.
Reminds me (of a story) of an office manager who told me she would never read an e-mail from me in the business situation (I had sent several to her with no response) if I did not fill out the subject box because it was "A RULE", who knew?
off subject someone once told me there are 3 types of people:(?) people who feel, people who see, people who hear.
During "preview post" I just saw that this frown was placed when i typed a semi colonic. But if I add the space between the semi colon and the paren it goes away.
But spellink is clearly a touchy subject, you make me feel bad.You make me want to be a better speller
As for grammmar I hear someone calling me and I can't go there now.
Since I'm a 2 finger hunt and pecker your'e lucky i made any effort at all which is all i ask of anybody until we get a built in spell check. Effort doesn't always equal results, but it helps as you meant.You know what I mean.
Its a tough world out there and yet, at least, we all have the common thread of ALFAS
Chuckles, R.

·
Premium Member
26,698 Posts
R.,
The basic rule on numbers in text is that when you start a sentence you spell out the number.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts