Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1986 Graduate. When I test drove it, I noticed the speedometer was jumping around. I figured that it needed a new speedometer cable and ordered one. Today, as I warmed up the car, I realized that every time I hit the gas pedal, both the needle on the tach and the one on the speedometer moved in unison. Hmmm. Probably not the speedometer cable. Any ideas?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The speedo and tach on that car are both electronic and in regard to anything past the sending unit for the speedo you're (likely) dealing with an electric issue.
As the needles do goofy stuff when revved, you might be experiencing a faulty/loose/dirty/corroded connection somewhere. Like the ground for the cluster for example.

Drop down into the spider subsection for more information specific to your car, and do bring pictures along if you have any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I disconnected the speedo cable and still had the problem, so eventually I will pull the pod and take a look.
Evenutally. Took the car for a drive on Friday. The weather was mild and I enjoyed the sound of the engine as I shifted down from fourth to third, and then third to second - until I heard a slight grinding noise and a clunk. I no longer can get the car into second. But I have all those other gears, and second is sooooo over rated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming that second gear ate itself for lunch. I want to check one more thing. When the car was in second, the lever was flush against the console. The car has new motor mounts, so I'm not sure if something securing the transmission could break and shift it enough so that the console is blocking it from going into gear. I will crawl under there today, but Murphey's Law says that if it can be a cheap fix, it won't be.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If the engine mounts are new and the trans mount is bad, things would tip rearward by a fair margin causing potential problems with 2, or R, or 4 depending on how the console was mounted and the actual amount of sag. (it has some 'fudge room' when installing)

Check the way the trans mount area lays into the yoke of the crossmember.
It should not touch down on the bottom of it.
The trans mount is rubber, so can sag and/or deteriorate over time regardless of the bolts being all present.
IIRC, it's around 3/8" clearance in general with a decent mount. Certainly 1/4" anyway if not.

Pix down in the spider and transmission subsections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again. I can't get all the way under the car, so I am going to take it down to my mechanic tomorrow and have him put it on his lift. Visually it looks like the transmission sags to the rear.
As I said, the shifter was pressed right up against the console in second (and the knob against my leg). On the other side, I could move the shifter beyond fifth and reverse on the other side. That sort of sounds like a transmission mount on one side (I assume there's one on both sides) was in the process of collapsing.

·
Administrator
17,385 Posts
Nope, two engine mounts, one transmission mount. The transmission mount is mostly air. It should be installed so that when the weight is carried, the bolt ends up centered.

Before you go too far, try loosening the console securing screws and wiggling it to see if you can reposition it to clear the shift lever.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts