Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 Spider. I checked my Speedo this morning against a GPS and it is off across the spectrum. For example when my speedo reads 67 I am actually doing 60! Any ideas gentlemen? Stock size tires BTW.

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
Do you think that your original 4.1 axle may have been swapped for a 4.55? That would account for the 10% error.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
they are never deadly accurate at the best of times.

reading 67 at 60 is not bad tbh! (think of all the speeding tickets it will save you from;))

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Think it that STUPID DOT box under the hood. Gonna order a regular speedo cable and bypass that POS. My 82 is bad as well. It's doing the same exact thing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think that your original 4.1 axle may have been swapped for a 4.55? That would account for the 10% error.
Pretty sure it has not, it is a low mile unmolested car and it revs a lot lower at speed than my 4.55 1978 did~

they are never deadly accurate at the best of times.

reading 67 at 60 is not bad tbh! (think of all the speeding tickets it will save you from;))
True~!!! But now I KNOW so the equation has changed!

Think it that STUPID DOT box under the hood. Gonna order a regular speedo cable and bypass that POS. My 82 is bad as well. It's doing the same exact thing.
Might be!~~!

Leave it alone. You'll impress your friends, and it'll keep you out of trouble.0:)

I just might if there is no fix. I do not want to change the speedo/odo out so if it cannot be fixed it is staying where it is!

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
The speedometer in my 79 spider is as accurate as the ones in my Acura and my Wife's Toyota. I think that 11% error is excessive for an Alfa.

·
Registered
356 Posts
10% ish is acceptable - even my DD's read fast, manufacturers always fit speedos that read fast within the regs so I'd say an old Alfa at 10% is doing well

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Has the gear box been changed? It could be the drive unit and rear unit that holds the rubber guibo. If they are miss matched you could have a huge speedometer error.

·
Registered
216 Posts
my speedo reads 67 I am actually doing 60!
Spot on for an old Italian car. Mine too is off by about the same amount. I had a Fiat Spider that would read 70 MPH when doing 55 MPH. Only my modern cars are accurate, but they are digital.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had the same problem with my 84 Veloce. Son is a very competent watch repairman, so we disassembled speedo, repositioned needle, reassembled, not a problem since - this was @ 2 yrs ago. Simple enough that even I (old eyes, loss of fine motor skills) could have done it. Reads zero at rest, very accurate at all speeds. Good opportunity to clean lens and dial.

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
I need a speedo that reads a little high to keep my license. I wouldn't fix this myself. Actually what I do now is I use a GPS and the speed it is saying and set the cruise control ... oops yeah my GTV does not have that.

To me speedo's are always a rough idea thing ... but then I've had lots of tickets :(
Pete

·
Registered
440 Posts
I need a speedo that reads a little high to keep my license. I wouldn't fix this myself. Actually what I do now is I use a GPS and the speed it is saying and set the cruise control ... oops yeah my GTV does not have that.

To me speedo's are always a rough idea thing ... but then I've had lots of tickets :(
Pete
I have a 1600 diff in my 1750 spider...it's not even close to being correct, but it looks like I'm flying even at 60mph:)

Makes a great highclimb car with the 1600 diff, but revs a touch high at a true 60mph {around 3300rpm}

1 - 20 of 21 Posts