Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I went to plug in my speedometer cable in my '85 spider, and found a new one in the trunk of the car. I went and pulled the speedometer pod and uninstalled the old cable and routed the new one in the same position as the old one. Although the old one was currently unplugged from the transmission, it didn't come close to reaching it. The new one was a good bit longer and still is short maybe four inches.

Now it is routed through the front firewall with some wiring and down past the throttle cable, and then backtracks toward the trans.

Any tips? Was it routed wrong from the beginning?
Any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
It's possible that your new cable (and maybe even the one that was on your car) are intended for use on the later, or "B" model S3's, that utilize an electronic pulse generator unit (mounted on the sidewall next to the clutch reservoir) to control the speedometer, hence the need for a shorter cable. Perhaps the previous owner ordered the wrong one by mistake.

I bought a new speedo cable for my 1988 Spider from one of the domestic suppliers. It is 66-1/2" long, designed for use with a pulse generator model Spider, and marked with the supplier's internal part number of 81-1821.

If your cable is only 66-1/2" long, then you have the type designed for a later S3 Spider (after 1984 or 1985) and it's about a foot too short to pass through the firewall to the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
1986 is when they went to the electric speedo. You want a cable for a mid 70's spider. Which is what I think most suppliers are selling for the 85 and earlier. Originally you had 2 cables. There is or was a counter box in front of the steering box which tripped the oxygen sensor light on the console. The boxes were notorious for locking up and breaking cables. So most people ran the earlier cable bypassing the box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been looking on insrtuction on how to remove the speedometer pod to install the new cable. How did you do it
On the S3? One screw at the base of the pod cover holds the pod on. Remove that and lift the pod cover off.

3 screws hold the speedo in the housing.

Before you can remove, you need to take the nut off of the trip counter reset (14mm if I remember right), and push the reset up through the mount hole.

Now you can pull the unit out far enough to reach the speedo cable.

I just did this yesterday on my car. To save my arthritic hands, I taped the new speedo end to the old trans end and pulled through the firewall (while someone else pushed from the other side). Lots easier than trying to guide the new one into place while laying on your back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve got 88 Alfa spider quad. Where does the speedo cable connect on transmission? Can I replace without lift?

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
The speedometer cable attaches to the rear of the gearbox, just above the support bushing on the left hand side. It is the fine-threaded mount extending to the left in this photo. You may have to remove the bolt that secures the bushing to the crossmember, and then the four screws that hold the crossmember to the chassis to gain enough access to unscrew the speedo rev counter coupling. If you do, make sure to adequately support the tail end of the gearbox so that it doesn't hang on the prop shaft.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The speedometer cable attaches to the rear of the gearbox, just above the support bushing on the left hand side. It is the fine-threaded mount extending to the left in this photo. You may have to remove the bolt that secures the bushing to the crossmember, and then the four screws that hold the crossmember to the chassis to gain enough access to unscrew the speedo rev counter coupling. If you do, make sure to adequately support the tail end of the gearbox so that it doesn't hang on the prop shaft. View attachment 1616034
Were did the cable break. My broke in side the gear and had to remove it to get the end out. I went to a one piece cable. Remove the counter and it looks a lot better. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts