Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m preparing to replace the speedometer cable on my ‘74. I don’t see how the cable can be run through this grommet given the size of the threaded barrel nut. Any tips? Thanks.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Steering part Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Rubbing Alcohol drench. It may slip through It’s a good way to fit rubber parts in any case because the alcohol totally evaporates

Reactions: AJMN

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The old cable is out thanks to a slight incision in the grommet. Unfortunately the new cable is apparently wrong for the car. The flange diameter at the transmission end is too large and cannot be installed. I’ve already emailed the vendor to discuss. The invoice states “GTV 68-81”, yet the part bag states “77-81”. I assume it was an error in shipping the wrong part. Impatient me is tempted to grind down that flange and make it work.
Font Wood Gas Metal Tool

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I misunderstood how this version installs. It will screw on to the transmission. The larger flange just prevents anything from penetrating other than the inner cable itself. Hopefully this works as the exhaust heat shield mounting screw is on my last nerve.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new cable is installed and the good news is the speedometer sweeps smoothly with no discernible bouncing. Unfortunately there’s still a speed sensitive ticking noise. It’s quieter than before, but still there. I did lube the new cable before installing. Given that there’s no speedometer bounce (due to sticky cable or worn ends) I’m inclined to think the speedometer itself is making the noise. Is this possible?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read a post on another Alfa forum regarding a similar “ticking” situation. Apparently some simple lubrication of the speedo’s moving bits did the trick. I’ll try that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts