Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening / Morning
Just bought a Graduate LHD The car was in California till 1995 in a nice dry climate then brought over to Scotland which is naturally the other end of the scale and I have now semi tepatriated it to the sun as in the South Coast of England !!!
I have wanted to buy a Spider since I was an ankle biter but have never quite been brave enough. I have had in my opinion some nice but inexpensive cars and currently a Porsche 996 which although I think is a beauty no one else seems to give a toss. I have had the Spider which is far from mint for one week and have never had so many people remark on its beauty or say something like I had one of those when I was s student! It drives like a bag of **** and has a few rust bubbles which one cannot see from a distance but I get a great feeling when I drive it. They say if you dont look back at your car when you have parked it then you have bought the wrong car so I know I have not bought the wrong car !
I do plan however to try to bring in the Bumbers a bit and read a forum from a long time ago saying that you can bleed the shocks and bring them in a bit so that they do not stick out so much so any advice on that would be really kind.
My immediate issue is that the speedo is stuck on 18 mph I have checked fuse 9 and all good so do you access the rear of the instrument cluster by simply pulling off the back or is there a nack to it and if that end is ok then I will need to check the end on the gearbox I assume ! The rev counter is ok but speedo and milometer are standing still.
The car came with the 5 spoke graduate wheels which I am going to change so also wondered if I will be able to sell these or not ie is there a market and if so what would they fetch ?
I bought some Mats from Alfaholics with the red logos and they look the nuts so I would highly recommend them and am looking to do a nice re spray when I can comfortably justify it as in lockdown I am guessing that food should be my first priority for the family.
I have posted a picture of the car as it stands which looks better from a distance but can hand on heart say what a pleasure it is to drive and all.advice on what I should do to preserve and improve will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Cripes man: By the header I thought you were going to discuss one of
those small tight (mostly black) swimming suits we see
on the mussel/muscle beach.

Maybe you guys don't have them there.

Anyway, Welcome to the mad house.

Hint: If your looking for real information, it's best to let us know what you are working on.

i.e.: better headers/subject line. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Since your odometer advances properly, you can rest assured that the cable between the gearbox and the pulse generator is intact, and the pulse generator is feeding the speedometer gauge properly. And as such, the reason why your needle does not advance, and why your trip meter seems dead, is that there is something amiss in the speedometer gauge itself. It might be something as simple as dirt between the wiper arm and windings of the mini calibration/adjustment potentiometer that is attached to the speedo's circuit board (which can sometimes be remedied by a blast of electronic contact cleaner).
The speedometer gauge is part of the instrument cluster, which is attached inside the monopod case. The cluster can be extracted from the case in situ, but it's a bit tricky. You need to remove the bezel from the monopod (5 hidden plastic retaining clips), then remove 4 or 5 Phillips head screws located around the clear lens cover, tilt the cluster out at the top and disconnect the 4 harness plugs from the back. Once the cluster is away from the case, some more Phillips screws on the back will afford access to the speedo and tach gauges for examination and cleaning of the mini-pots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your prompt replies.
I will take on board the title advice so appreciate that.

Speedos are still a feature on some british beaches but due to our increasing love for fast food they are now becoming a rarer site for which I am in the main most grateful.

I think I may have slightly mislead as the needle does not advance to 18 it is stuck on it all the time however it is very useful to know how to remove the back of the mono pod so I will be able to tackle that with some confidence tomorrow and as a preventative measure will also give it a good spray with the electrical cleaner as advised.
Many Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hi Steve, it looks a nice car. It shouldn't drive like
like a bag of ****
'though! When they are set up properly they are a really nice drive. Do you mean the handling, or the engine/drivetrain? Or both?
You will find loads of information on here about suspension. If you don't have evidence that the suspension bushes have been replaced in the last 10 years then you should aim to get them all changed. There are a number of critical rubber bushes that perish or wear and replacing them makes a world of difference.

Same for the speedometer - plenty of information. How to fix your slow reading speedometer or tachometer.... This is a LONG read now, as it has lots of input. It does cover how to fix a non-working, not just slow gauge.

Where on the south coast are you going to be? Once we get out of the virus restrictions there will be Alfa events to attend - join the Alfa Romeo Owners Club here for more information.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
always useful to put the year and model in your signature.
So what year is your grad? do you have the bullet fuses or the more modern blade fuses?

if I read your post correct both your speedo and your odo do not work? correct?
This could be something as simple as the fuse...or a broken cable (from gearbox to pulse generator)...or a non working pulse generator...or the wires from the pulse generator to the speedometer itself.
The fuse you checked (#9) is not the right one, imo....Check fuses #7 and #8 (counting from left)

speedo stuck on 18: normal, there is a pin round about there to stop needle dropping down (rev counter has a pin too)
speedo s3.jpg

if you need to remove the speedo (but do the other checks first) then here are some instructions I cobbled together some time back:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information I am in Folkestone in Kent.
When I say that it does not drive well I guess I am comparing it to a modern car but you are right that I expect the suspension has not been touched as I think it has only had reactive repairs so this would he worth looking into. What would be a very rough cost to get this done all round would you think UK question naturally.
The engine and gear box sounds pretty good just have an annoying exhaust rattle where the rear pipe behind the box is hitting the body as badly fitted but Kwik Fit said they can get some heat on it and bend it in a bit rather lockdown !
Thanks
Steve
Alfa graduate 1987 LHD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you tell me where I will.find the location of the pulse generator as I had a good clean of the engine bay and am wondering if I may have knocked a wire off or hope should I say !

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
on your model it must be up by the brake booster....
This looks like it (circled)
1987-Alfa-Romeo-Spider-Quadrifoglio-Verde-Engine.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so grateful as I did the above then changed the fuse as advised by spiderseries 4 and Bobs your Uncle it works.

In this day and age you get so much pleasure when you mend something that I could not keep the smile of my face !

Many Thanks

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts