Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!!
the speedo in my gt junior has stopped working, i think that the cable is disconnected, could somebody tell me where is it supposed to be connected.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
528 Posts
One end goes in the back of the speedo. The other is connected to the gearbox.

What will often happen is that the cable doesn't actually break but the ends of the cable are little rods with a square section. These will round and allow the cable to rotate inside either the speedo or the gearbox drivegears. The rounding occurs because the cable needs lubrication and thus resistance becomes too great. You will probably have noticed that the speedo needle has 'stuttered' for a while before it stopped working completely.....

Replacement is the only real solution, but you may find it doesn't make your speedo work because the rounded ends of the cable have worn the square holes in the speedo or gearbox too.

I fixed mine with ... ahem.... a little epoxy cement after having sprayed a littel WD40 in the hole first to ensure that the epoxy doesn't stick inside the speedo and gearbox....

Shadetree mech indeed. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Replacement is the only real solution, but you may find it doesn't make your speedo work because the rounded ends of the cable have worn the square holes in the speedo or gearbox too.

Are the square holes able to be replaced or are they part of the casting in the speedo and gearbox?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks both for the answers, Kroehl you told me that one end is connected to the gearbox, but could you tell me where exactly it is? because i can´t find it.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Left rear of the gearbox above the gearbox crossmember. Although the cable runs above the front muffler heatshield, removal of the heatshield is not necessary. Just remove the headshield screws and the shield will drop low enough for cable removal.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Are the square holes able to be replaced or are they part of the casting in the speedo and gearbox?
At the gearbox end are little gears which can be replaced and may enable you to actually get your speedo (more) accurate if your rear axle was replaced since there are different ratios available. At the speedo end - no idea actually....

@alfista: You CAN get the cable out of the gearbox but be advised that it is one PITA to get as far as that. Loosening the gearbox crossmember to allow the gearbox to drop somewhat, without letting the engine hit the firewall, makes things easier but not easy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At the gearbox end are little gears which can be replaced and may enable you to actually get your speedo (more) accurate if your rear axle was replaced since there are different ratios available. At the speedo end - no idea actually....

@alfista: You CAN get the cable out of the gearbox but be advised that it is one PITA to get as far as that. Loosening the gearbox crossmember to allow the gearbox to drop somewhat, without letting the engine hit the firewall, makes things easier but not easy.
Thanks for the info kroehl...this thread reminded me I still have this problem with my GTV even after replacing the speedo and tacho cables. Looks like another couple of jobs on the to-do list for when I eventually get her back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts