Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer on my 86 Graduate intermittently stops working. Sometimes, I can get it to work by tapping it on the glass, but not always. It's been repaired once before I bought the car. Possibly a loose wire or flex circuit?
Additionally, if I get into the instrument cluster, I'd like to replace the bulbs, as they're really dim. Are there any LED replacements for this? thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
when the speedo stops working does the odometer also stop? or does the odo continue to turn?
when it works does it read correct speed?

dim lights: presume the advise about checking/bypassing the dimmer, back in 2018, didn't help?

LEDs and brighter normal bulbs for the instrument cluster were recently discussed here:

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
If tapping on the cluster case or lens occasionally solves the problem, I would be suspicious of the continuity between the edge connectors on the back of the cluster and the mating wiring harness plugs. I would remove the monopod and clean the contact surfaces of the ribbon cables where they fold over the plastic tongues, using a soft, non-abrasive eraser. Make sure that all contacts are bent properly to make a firm connection. Spray electronic contact cleaner into the four wiring harness plugs that connect to the back of the cluster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when the speedo stops working does the odometer also stop? or does the odo continue to turn?
when it works does it read correct speed?

dim lights: presume the advise about checking/bypassing the dimmer, back in 2018, didn't help?

LEDs and brighter normal bulbs for the instrument cluster were recently discussed here:
The odometer stops as well. Thanks for the link to the LED bulbs. I'll look up that post about the dimmer. I hadn't seen it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If tapping on the cluster case or lens occasionally solves the problem, I would be suspicious of the continuity between the edge connectors on the back of the cluster and the mating wiring harness plugs. I would remove the monopod and clean the contact surfaces of the ribbon cables where they fold over the plastic tongues, using a soft, non-abrasive eraser. Make sure that all contacts are bent properly to make a firm connection. Spray electronic contact cleaner into the four wiring harness plugs that connect to the back of the cluster.
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to get into the cluster to investigate. This will be my first removal of the cluster, so any hints or pieces of advice are welcome. I'm just going to follow the shop manual and take it slowly.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
This will be my first removal of the cluster, so any hints or pieces of advice are welcome. I'm just going to follow the shop manual and take it slowly.
shop manual will have you dismantle half the interior;)
you can remove the monopod fairly easily, take it slowly, don't work in a freezing environment (plastic gets brittle in cold temps.)

post 2 here shows a pdf I put together
Process to remove Speedometer Tachometer?

might help some

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shop manual will have you dismantle half the interior;)
you can remove the monopod fairly easily, take it slowly, don't work in a freezing environment (plastic gets brittle in cold temps.)

post 2 here shows a pdf I put together
Process to remove Speedometer Tachometer?

might help some
That's great. I'll go thru that a few times before starting. I looked on superbrightleds.com and the original LED replacements mentioned above (B8.7D-W) have been discontinued. Suggested replacement is B8.3D, B8.4D or B8.5D, depending on the dimensions of the holder that you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts