Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody attempted to fix or fixed, the speedo pulse generator on an S4 automatic transmission?

LOL!! And don't anybody say to try using the Sonic Screwdriver setting 654.69, or try checking the tools available in the Escher Vault! Cuz I already tried.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I didn't try to repair mine as I managed to source one from Di Fatta Bros. When I got the old one back from the garage that fitted it , though, I decided to have a look inside to see if would have been repairable.
It wasn't straightforward to open it and I ended up breaking it to get it apart. I thought the inner bits would screw into the brass holder but they appear to be glued/sealed so as I twisted the things broke. It would be best to pick away at the edges with something sharp and pointy I think.

The old one, intact. I tried twisting the top bit you can see, which didn't work.

The inner circuit board looks very simple (I may have kept the bits. If I have I will take some pics for you) so I guess with a bit more care it could be accessed and repaired.
There was also an oily liquid inside when I opened it. I don't know if this is something to act as a shock absorber for the circuit board as it must get a lot of vibration being mounted on the transmission or whether oil had leaked in and caused the fault. The unit didn't drip or appear to have leaks until I opened it :p so I am guessing the former.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Pics of the bits I have left. Its not a complete set as some of the fragments flew off into the dark recessses of the garage as I lost patience and used brute force to open it. Also, I have just noticed that I have put the "cylinder" part the wrong way round. The unbroken end of the cylinder connects with the brown "plug" part located at the narrow end of the brass cylinder.

I've looked at it again and I still can't see how I could have disassembled it without breaking it but I know there are far better mechanics than me out there so perhaps someone will work it out.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts