Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, finally drove my new acquisition (1984 Spider Veloce) last Saturday and found out that neither the speedometer, nor the odometer are working.

I've heard that the later S3 Spiders had electronic speedos, but as mine is the pre-facelift version, am I right in thinking it's mechanical?

I'm guessing that maybe the end of the cable slipped out, but are there any common causes I should check?

In addition, does anyone have info or pictures of where the cable connects to (on the diff)? If it's at the gauge-pod end, what should I know about taking it apart?

Sorry for all the questions; this is my first Alfa and my first "antique" car experience. I'm trained as a tech, but I'm used to working on cars with fully electronic systems.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

~Mike Escobar

·
Administrator
17,063 Posts
Your '84 would have a 2 piece speed cable originally. One piece from the transmission to a small counting box* in the engine bay (left side) then a second piece from the counting box to the speedo. A fault anywhere along the way would affect the speedo's operation.

* the counting box triggers a dash warning light to have the catalytic converter checked every 30,000 miles - it has a button to reset the light

The two piece cable can be replaced by a (longer) one piece cable from an earlier model. That eliminates two connections & the counting box as possible failure points.

The cable can be unscrewed from the back of the speedo head and slid out of the sheath. Inspect for kinks & obvious breaks. The ends of the cable are welded solid & squared off to fit into square sockets at each end (trans & speedo). If rounded over or kinked replace the cable. If it looks OK slide the inner cable back in place - apply a few drops of light oil but wipe off the oil from about the top 6" (the speedo end). As it gets to the end that fits into the transmission twist the cable and you should feel it engage and then resist twisting. Put the speedo end back in place - make sure it enters the speedo straight.

If it still doesn't work the speedo likely needs work/replacement. One other thing to try (before replacing the speedo itself) is to unscrew the speedo end and drive the car to make sure the inner cable turns when the car is moving. If it does not then the transmission cable drive piece is faulty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Two further questions: where does the cable go into the transmission and is there a "best" way of accessing the speedo end? I.E., how much of the dash do I have to take apart to gain access to the back of the gauge pod?

Again, thanks for the info!

~Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts