Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Since a while the speedo of my ’85 Spider graduate does not work anymore. It used to be working intermittently. I found out that the issue seems to mechanical. I was able repair it temporarily by unscrewing the speedo cable at both ends and pulling the cable up in the sleeve somewhat to make it protrude more at the pulse generator side. It will work for the first couple of miles after that. Then the cable “drops” again to the where there will not be sufficient cable going in the pulse generator anymore.
So my question is: does the cable reduce length over time and is mine simply not long enough anymore or am I missing part that help locate the cable inside its sleeve?
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Machine tool

Rim Auto part Fixture Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

Thanks for your help!

Niels

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
well it can't shrink, that's for sure!
but pulling it up out the sleeve solves nothing...you might just have pulled it out far enough so that it is disengaged from the gearbox side.

The threads at the pulse generator end look rather filthy and if that will not screw in all the way to "seat" the inner cable, then that is where things start to go wrong...try cleaning them (both on the generator and the speedo) so that it screws all the way onto the generator...that might give you the mm or two that is needed??

Failing that, maybe someone in the past replaced just the inner cable and it was a few mm too short?

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
That is what I was thinking also. Clean and tighten and if no good, replace

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
One your missing the plastic sleeve that goes in the speedo drive. It keeps the housing from going up into the drive.

You need to remove the cable from the speedo drive and inspect the edges of the square swaged. The edges where in one spot where it engages into the drive. The fix is to replace the cable. You can shim it like you have. But it is a hit or miss fix.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One your missing the plastic sleeve that goes in the speedo drive. It keeps the housing from going up into the drive.
Sharp observation. That might be the reason the inner cable is "dropping" too much into the gear box. I'm going to order this part and a new speedo cable (and in fact a driveshaft u-joint because I noticed play in that).
Now for the length of the cable, I pulled the old cable out of sleeve and measured it. It's 152 cm long, which seems to be different than what I see in the webshops listed for this car (166 cm). What is the size I need?

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
not sure you can order that plastic bushing.....first have a look if it is missing?
you could make one.
if the cable ends are square and the bush is missing, then you don't really need a new cable, just fix the bush and try that.
Household hardware Wood Gas Bicycle part Metal

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Perhaps someone could measure the plastic bush and it could be made on a 3D printer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure you can order that plastic bushing.....first have a look if it is missing?
you could make one.
if the cable ends are square and the bush is missing, then you don't really need a new cable, just fix the bush and try that.
View attachment 1741126
This Dutch shop is still selling it: https://www.classicalfaparts.nl/ShowArtikel.aspx?ArtID=6278

As for whether it is still in there I'm not sure. If you look at the picture underneath there seems to be something, but it is sitting lower compared to the picture you shared.

Eye Water Human body Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
that dutch shop sure does get few hard to find parts!:)

Yes, that is certainly it and your photo does show it sitting rather deep inside....but could also be a bit of something someone made up, just didn't realise what depth it should be.
the square end of the cable looks sharp enough...is the end on the tranny also square? can't really tell from the photo?
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Basically, iirc, the speedo cable flange should sit 'on' the trans drive unit, not slip inside.

what about filling it out with washers, just to test the theory?

BTW: that bushing is also the same as on cars where tach drive is on the water pump

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would agree that the inner cable wouldn't shrink, but perhaps the outer housing could lengthen. Like if someone pulled on one end, while the other end was still attached. Or, the outer housing and the inner cable have worn and the inner cable now has more room to wiggle and works itself out of the drive. I've thought about cutting off the crimped-on ends of the housing to attempt a fix, but the cable and housing are fairly priced and much easier to try.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
The bushing should be flush with the housing. Cable length is usually measured by the outside cable. It doesn't have to be exact. Just close in length.

I get them from OKP. I know theirs are the same as the originals.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
This Dutch shop is still selling it: https://www.classicalfaparts.nl/ShowArtikel.aspx?ArtID=6278

As for whether it is still in there I'm not sure. If you look at the picture underneath there seems to be something, but it is sitting lower compared to the picture you shared.

View attachment 1741128
Thats not the original bushing. The hole in the center is bigger and the original bushing can't go down that far.

Also the inner cable should be sticking out about an inch or so from the outer housing.

Reactions: spiderserie4

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Time for an update...
I received some parts and removed the old parts from the car.

As for comparing the old and new cable. The new one is somewhat longer, which based on the spec I did expect. But... when I push for both cable the inner cable in until it hits the stopper (pulse generator end) the new one sticks out far more on the gearbox end compared to the old one (pulse generator end is the same):
Wood Tool Auto part Nickel Bicycle part

The new one sticks out for about 3.5 cm; the old one only 2,2 cm. (I'm hoping now I'm not going to find out that the "missing" bit of length is in the gearbox side, but I think the cable does not really look snapped off)

I also worked the plastic busing out of the gearbox side. I think it actually is the original bushing and it does look intact. Sizes are the same as the new parts I received.
So that does raise the question why it was sitting so low. Does it look normal to you in here:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Gas

I measured the bushing in case anyone misses it and wants to reproduce using 3D print or on a lathe (I think the new one I ordered was 3D printed)
Calipers Wood Toy airplane Office ruler Aircraft

Wood Aircraft Aviation Calipers Font

Inner diameter is about 8.5mm (measured by putting the rear end of different metal drill bits in and seeing which went in without play).

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
The cable is correct. Also looks like the outer flange is bigger on the outer cable. Which will help keep it from going down in the drive.

Theres a little bit of a lip in the drive that helps stops the bushing.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
agree, the flange on the new cable looks wide enough to stop it falling inside the speedo drive
your drive looks a little odd in that there is a bit knocked out the lip, but I doubt that affects anything
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Flash photography Gas

have you put the new bush in there yet? could be it is a few thousandth wider and doesn't sink so far into the drive unit...??
Anyway as long as the speedo cable flange sits on top of the drive and doesn't slip inside, you're set, I'd say:)

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
The cable rests on that plastic spacer in the drive unit. If that plastic spacer is missing the end of the cable does not seat well and ut will remain loose. The nick in the unit may have to be messaged to smooth it our. Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi guys,
I’m having cable troubles too. There is clearly a brass flange at the pulse generator end of the inner cable but should there be something at the transmission end of things? I’ve pulled the inner cable out, cleaned it and tried to flush the gunk out of the cable sheath… but I have a terrible cable whip at speeds less than 30mph. The speedo has been rebuilt.
any thoughts?
thanks
doug

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
No there should be nothing on the cable at the trans end.

The cables even the new ones need to be greased. Pull the inner cable out and as you feed it back in run it through wheel bearing grease on the end of your fingers.

One problem you might be having is the outer housing gets damaged from heat were it pass over the top of the front muffler/cat. At that point you need to replace it. There not that expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts