Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Photos taken at the Sydney boat show 2009.Would somebody tell me why the engine is turned around and the drive taken off the front?
If the engine was in the other way all the oil would be at the back of the motor because of the angle that the motor sits at. With the engine in backwards all the oil is at the front of the pan where the oil pick up is.

Also most race boats do not use transmissions but the prop shafts can be connected to either end.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK, the REAL reason auto engines have the drive taken off the front end of the engine is to get the engine lower in the boat.
The front of the engine allows the crank shaft centre line to be closer to the bottom of the hull, allowing a flatter shaft angle.
On boats, any angle above zero for the shaft angle costs you in efficiency (thrust is not in the exact same direction as drag) so you try to get the shaft as flat as possible, especially in a race boat.
It also helps lower the CG that little bit more.
Custom oil pans are the norm on boats, usually because of the angle they run at and the angle the engine sits on in the boat, very unusual to find a stock automotive sump and pickup as they just don't work. Most race boat oil pans also used to run the raw water cooling through them as it is pumped to the engine, to control oil temperatures.
Most race engines I've seen also have the oil pump pick up as part of the oil pan, usually a tube brazed to the bottom of the sump.

Regards, Andrew.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ezio Selva

Some rare footage here of Ezio Selva's fatal crash in his AR powered "Moschettiere" in 1957 at Miami. His death all the more tragic as the other boats had been disqualified for jumping the start.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Just got this model and this looks like the place to post pictures.Haven't had much time to research it,but here's what I know. From an old Ft.Lauderdale,Fla. hobby shop(has been closed for over 10 years),built by a professional model builder employed there appx. 40 years ago.It is of all wood construction,5 feet long and appx.12 1/2 " wide,radio controlled and powered by a Super Tigre .65 racing engine,which is missing.Best Regards,Phil DiGrazia, Lawrenceville,Ga. 61'Giulietta Spider Normale

Attachments

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
could you post a photo of the ****pit if there is detail in it and under the hood so we can see where the engine was mounted with the electronics...please. :)

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
dart speedboat

I'll post what I have for now,which show both ****pits and the engine compartment.In the overall picture(second one),you can't see the servo area because there's a piece of tinted plexi over it.This is removable so I'll try to get a better picture later when the camera gets here. PIC.1 Nicely detailed guages,seat backs.The rubber bellowed control is for the rudders,the other control is a little difficult to make out,but it's the on/off switch.The knob part is made from a cross-drilled brass gear soldered to a control wire,great idea.Need an early 70's Megow co-pilot! PIC'S 3,4 are the engine compartment.That's a huge fuel tank to the left.The filler cap is the rubber top from the old paper glue bottles we used to use as kids.The kind with a self-sealing slot at the end of it.It is inverted in the tank,making filling easy and sealing when done,simple and effective.Also shown are the water-cooling hoses and the aluminum tubes vented to the air scoops on the deck for cooling.Hope you enjoy them,Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
The build quality on this is superb! I can't imagine the hours that went into the design time and construction. The rear mechanic must have fallen out at the last race. :p

·
Registered
122 Posts
AR 2500 Powered boats.

I have just uploaded extracts from the film " German and Italian sneak craft" to YouTube . This shows the Twin AR2500 powered MTSM motor torpedo boat and the single AR2500 MTM motor explosive boat being tested post war.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Italian Hydroplanes

A few more photos of two Alfa powered idros.........
1. S.I.A.I - ALFA ROMEO pilot Col. Goffredo Gorini Winner Raid Pavia Venezia 1937-38-39
2. Col. Prospero Freri - engine Alfa Romeo - boat Gorini - 1934

Attachments

61 - 79 of 79 Posts