Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took these pictures last saturday.
I was there for concorso Villa d'Este, but went for a small plane-ride with my girlfriend first.
That's when we saw this fantastic boat!

There are some more pictures of the boat here (and 'some' cars, but you guys won't mind, I presume :) )
http://www.gummen.org/tmp/villadeste2010.html

·
Registered
122 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
From what I was reading Sr. Carlo Chiti of Autodelta was the leader behind the use of the Montreal engines in the Dart. In the biography of Sr. Chiti in Chiti Gran Prix by Piero Cassuci, the book is mostly about his life and a large component was about his time at Alfa Romeo. In the back of the book on pg. 108 lists the 3 liter Montreal engine using Spica injection having 310 hp at 8500 rpm. The bore and stroke was 86 x 64.5

The 2.5 Montreal engine was 270 hp at 8500 rpm with a bore and stroke of 78 x 64.5 using either Spica or Lucas injection.

The article on altomareblu said that the boat was unstable at high speed and they rebuilt the boat to make it longer and even working on the boat hull to make it go faster right up to race time. (if I got my translation correct)

In 1970 the book lists a 115.04M engine with a bore and stroke of 90x78 4 liter engine with 520 hp at 10,000 rpm, twin cam 4 valves per cylinder, Lucas injection for use in a marine application.

The book shows no boats or mention of what projects he worked on in regards to marine applications.

Thank you for posting this!

·
Registered
122 Posts
montreal power

I am attaching a couple of photos of Montreal powered boats..plus a few other photos.
1. Franco Gilberti boat built by Abbate 1972.
2. UFO 66 .Twin Montreal OP.2 class (8200cc) of Caprara & Scalabrin ,set new European record at Alessio Sept 1973.
3.Marine V8.
4. FB Mostro AR 2000CC 1972.
5.Antonio Passarin - "Mariella" at speed during" Pavia Venezia race"( Although the photo was labeled as Pavia Venezia ...I believe this photo was taken during the Milan canal race of 1939 ) in his AR12c powered boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Eugenio Milinari Pilota Alfa Romeo

On a recent holiday in Bellagio, I convinced my wife to take time out to visit the Eugenio Molinari boatyard in Lezzeno.I had been interested in Eugenio for many years and particulary since many of his records had been set using Alfa engines, two set in 1970 with AR 1750 motors. He is also the winner of the Pavia Venezia Raid as a pilot and constructor. At the present he is the holder of 72 records and if his plans hold out will attempt his 73 this September at the age of 75. We were dissappointed to find the Boatyard museum closed and upon enquiry of a wirey old chap were told that the museum was no longer open to the public. The old chap dissappeared and returned with none other but Eugenio himself who was busy working in the boat yard but was kindness itself and told us to go back to the museo and he would have an english speaker show us around. As we arrived back at the gate a lady pulled up in an alfa spider. The lady turned out to be Eugenio's wife who was most charming and showed us about the yard and what an amazing place it was. Championship boat after championship boat and quite a few Alfa powered. Pride of place of course went to his latest record breaking machine ,the Ferrari F430 powered Freccia Rosso. It is a great shame that the Museum is not open to the public ,unfortunatly a great deal of investment is needed to update the facilities in particular to put a new floor in to display the engine collection and no state aid forthcoming. As we were leaving we again met up with Eugenio who introduced us to his son , who also competes in a 3 point Alfa powered boat. A great visit with a remarkable man even my wife was enthralled despite having accompaning me under sufferance.
To cap off the day as we arrived back to our hotel in Bellagio we found parked outside Alfa spider 8c Competizione number 1.
The end of a very good day.

I attach some photos of the boats plus an old clipping..

See Eugenio pilot the Ferrari powered boat on Youtube.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Thanks for sharing this great story and pictures!

·
Registered
122 Posts
idro video

I was trying to upload a video of an Idro to this post,but failed . I have now put the clip on Youtube and give link below.I hope it works. The idro in clip took part in the 1932 Pavia-Venezia raid . It is not T-108 but seems to be powered by an Alfa Romeo "lynx" .the side of the engine cowling indicates that the Idro was made by Savoia -Marchetti. I also include a photo of another idro Driven by Vito Mussolini ,who won his catagory in the 1936 raid they seem to be one and the same boats to my eye. A nice oppertunity to see one of these idros in action.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Idro

I have just added another clip of the Pavia-Venezia raid to Youtube.This time the race is 1936 and a number of different idros are to be seen . The first is Theo Rossi in ARDEA an Isotta-Fraschini powered machine there is also a brief glimpse of an AR Lynx powered machine which looks to be the one in Carlo's photograph ( post #7). We see Rossi cross the line in Venice followed by Vito Mussollini. I include photo of Rossi Boat .

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Idro

I have finally found some video (poor quality) of the 1937 Pavia-Venezia Raid in which the AR powered Idro T-108 triumphed. I have uploaded the clip to Youtube and posted the link below. We see T-108 crossing the line in Venice followed by a number of other boats and idros among them a AR lynx powered boat.For once Theo Rossi was down the field and we see him at the end of the clip.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the advantage of aircraft engines was that horsepower to weight ratio was much better in aircraft engines. and much higher horsepower without changing the size of the boat to put in a comparable horsepower engine.
around Kansas, it might also be an advantage to not hit your prop on logs and rocks.
Cliff

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Cliff, thank you for the explanation. In thinking this through, why haven't hydro's gone this way? Imagine the power of a Merlin engine in a hydro with a multibladed prop, I would imagine it would fly across the water. The only other thought I have is that it has to be something to do with stability, getting the right angle on the engine would be critical (?) to keeping the boat from diving or hopping out of the water as well as finding the center of gravity/balance point. Maybe I am over thinking this...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
hydroplanes used to use merlins. I was involved with providing communications for two unlimited hydroplane races here in Kansas. now they use turbines. still one of the boats used a 3000 hp radial engine, at the time of the races, it would have been real hard to put a 3000 hp engine inside a boat.
still it would bring a tear to your eye to see what a thrown rod will do to a merlin.
cliff

·
Registered
467 Posts
Photos taken at the Sydney boat show 2009.Would somebody tell me why the engine is turned around and the drive taken off the front?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
It is kind of hard to read the poster, but I noticed that the boat came out of South Africa in 2004. Are there other Alfa powered boats in South Africa?

Which then brings up the question, being that Alfa had cars in South America, and a lot of great drivers came out of South America into European racing, would there be Alfa powered boats and drivers from S.America?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Photos taken at the Sydney boat show 2009.Would somebody tell me why the engine is turned around and the drive taken off the front?
Shane,
Most likely is that the front part of the crank is keyed and it doesn't require an adapter to the rear part of the crankshaft. It would be easy to just drop the engine in, slide it into a keyed fitting, and bolt it down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has to do with the motor's rotation. Propshaft is connected directly off the front of the crank.No transmission, most hydros have you in motion as soon as you start up.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts