Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I could purchase an old program for a European speedboat GP on the "Lago di Lugano" in 1954. I hope some of you like the scans....

The boat type on the first two photos seems to have the grille of a tipo 158/9 Alfetta. Is it indeed equipped with an Alfa engine?
I heared of such a boat, but couldn't find photos.

The other two photos look like "Laura 1", but I am missing the Quadrifoglio sticker on the hood that I noticed on all photos of the Laura boats....:confused:

Best regards
Ciao Carlo:cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, sorry for the double post! Obviously I hit the button too early...
This here is edited better;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At this years Venice Boat Show , an interesting craft made its appearance after a seven month reconstruction by the Dalla Pieta boatyard of Venice – Malcontenta. The boat is Idroscrivolante T108 powered by an Alfa Romeo 9 cylinder radial aircraft engine.
The T108 Idro participated in the famous Pavia –Venezia race between the years 1933 and 1938 , piloted by Colonel Prospero Freri. These were the years that the race was dominated by Theo Rossi ( 1933, 1934,1935) of vermouth fame and Col.Renato Donati (1936,1937) who also held the world altitude record at that time in the Alfa powered Caproni Ca.113.AQ.
The attached photos show the original condition of the boat ,as it was delivered to the yard and the beautiful finished item, the reconstruction of which was sponsored by the yard itself.
The T108 actually belongs to the Civic Museum of Naval Education Milan and will be displayed and stored at the Leonardo da Vinci museum in Milan.
This of course not the only boat powered by an Alfa Romeo aircraft engine probably the most famous being the Sant’ Ambrogio 11 of Achille Castoldi which featured an Alfa Romeo AR RA 1000 rated at 1.800hp and was capable of at least 124MPH.
Details of Idroscivolante T108
Weight 1.5t
Depth 7.95m
Width 2.80m
Skate Width 0.80m
Speed 130 km/h
Engine 9cyl Alfa romeo.
Many thanks for these very interesting infos!
Now I know some more concerning this photo that I once purchased.

My first thought was that they built this machine to get rid of the pigeons and rats in Venice, lol:p;):D

Best regards

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carlo, you may know that the pic you bought is in the Alfa Romeo Immagini book.
Of course you're right, but I purchased the photo before I found an affordable copy of the Immagini book;)
Btw, when I visited Jack recently, we missed each other just for a few minutes:(
Next time we'll make do better!

Best regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.