Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedo is dead in my Q4 and another instrument pod didn't change that, so I guess the sender unit is bad. I have another one from a Thema 8.32 (should be the same part). However, the wires have been cut and I can't really see how to get to the connection in the unit itself, see photos. Any good ideas? Also I would like to measure if it is ok, does anyone have any info on this unit for doing that?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
prob have to take the case off

Hi Allan

There isn't much to work with on that sensor, I think you will have to cut the case off carefully (cut and bend the lip back) and then rebend the lip once you get new wires soldered in. Before you did that though, I would check the connections on the current speedo sensor to make sure that they are good.

bob

·
Premium Member
27,513 Posts
The speedo is dead in my Q4 and another instrument pod didn't change that, so I guess the sender unit is bad. I have another one from a Thema 8.32 (should be the same part). However, the wires have been cut and I can't really see how to get to the connection in the unit itself, see photos. Any good ideas? Also I would like to measure if it is ok, does anyone have any info on this unit for doing that?
It is a 7624310 unit for Alfa 164 5-speed tranny and has a 22mm nut.

Used also on Fiat Croma, Lancia Y10, Delta and Thema.

164 Speedometer Sender P/N's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfa 164 speedo Senders p/n info:

For 5-speed models

22mm (7/8") mounting nut Early 60508215*, SS 60800458 current superseding p/n 7624310

* euro connector so will have to splice old connector from 60800458 or 7624310 to it on USA models.

For A/T models

26mm mounting nut Early Euro 60511976" SS 60800459 current SS p/n 7624312

* suspect same issue with splicing later connector to it to use it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I may have one left over from my old Q4 if you need it Allan.

·
Premium Member
27,513 Posts
Sender same part number for all 164 5-speed models but the end connector maybe different between euro and non-euro models. I have both types and had to splice on my old connector to euro one I used couple years ago.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer :) I will let you know what happens.

I don't know if there is a difference between euro & non-euro, but that should not be a big problem.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
If the sensor is the same for a regular 164 I have a new one in the box it you want to buy it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the sensor is the same for a regular 164 I have a new one in the box it you want to buy it.
Thanks, I will get back to you if I need it.

The 164 forums are just great :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the offers. I bought the new one that 'Alfasrule' had, so it will replace the old one.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Now I got the speedo running again, so time for an update :)

I replaced the sensor, but that didn't help, so today I replaced the nylon wheel that the sensor goes into. As you can see in the picture, some of the teeth had broken off.But with the mileage, I guess that's ok.

So now the mileage is being added again :)

By the way, there is a screw on the side of the gearbox, if that is loosened, it is possible to lift the sensor and wheel out of the gearbox, instead of having to get a wrench in where there is no space.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,513 Posts
Now I got the speedo running again, so time for an update :)

I replaced the sensor, but that didn't help, so today I replaced the nylon wheel that the sensor goes into. As you can see in the picture, some of the teeth had broken off.But with the mileage, I guess that's ok.

So now the mileage is being added again :)

By the way, there is a screw on the side of the gearbox, if that is loosened, it is possible to lift the sensor and wheel out of the gearbox, instead of having to get a wrench in where there is no space.
That method will work fine as long as the nylon gear and shaft stay in the metal housing the speedo sender attached to. Was there a metal circlip holding shaft in place so it all came out together?

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
great job

Allan! Where did you get a replacement nylon shaft?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve, the old nylon shaft did not come up with the sensor and metal housing, but pulling it, together with turning the front wheel back and forth slightly (an extra person is very helpful here), meant that it let go. When putting in the new nylon shaft, it had to be put on the sensor with some force, before putting the assembly back in. I am very happy that it wasn't the nylong ring/wheel in the gearbox that was toast!

Getting the screw on the side of the gearbox to reach the hole in the metal housing (where the sensor is screwed on to) when putting it back in was a challenge.

Goats, I ordered it from my local Alfa garage - the parts guy there is very helpful and has good contacts. This is still possible to order from Alfa and not so expensive.

·
Premium Member
27,513 Posts
Some people have been unlucky by pulling out allen head screw and having the nylon shaft falling into differential. Glad you were one of the lucky ones and that didn't happen to you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried on the extra gearbox I have and there was no risk of it falling down (unless it was broken to pieces). Maybe the 6 speed Getrag box is different.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,513 Posts
Speedo drive 164 5-speed

Not sure if different than Q4 6 speed but shaft can easily fall out of threaded housing and fall into differential.

Q4 tranny in ePer does not show internal parts like 5 speed FWD one.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 6-speed box is definitely different, as mentioned I don't think it can happen in this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,853 Posts
I'll check on monday as I am out of town but from memory It might be different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts