Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody heading to Murwillumbah, Northern NSW next weekend for the Speed on Tweed festival?

I am heading up on Saturday, should be a good event for the N.NSW and Brisbane BBers. It is always a good weekend and there are always Alfas competing...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I haven't run Tweed for a couple of years now, but the usual contingent of hard core 105's do it every year. Great spectating if anybody is thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photos from the event

Ciao Tutte,

I spent the morning at Speed on Tweed today, so here's a few images that you all might be interested in. It was a short visit as I was encumbered with a pram and the mud from the previous few day's rain made getting around a bit difficult but there was some interesting stuff to see. For me, the highlight was seeing the Lancia 037 - the only RHD version that was ever made, reportedly as a recce car, but a very rare sight in the Southern hemisphere!

Sadly, all the competing Alfa Romeos were cars that had been there every year - sadly, as I always look forward to seeing something new! They are very well prepared and well driven modified Giulia Sprint GTs from Queensland (3) and look terrific on the course.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see a couple of non-competing Alfa Romeos parked up. This Junior was a lovely, well looked after example that had unfortunately been treated to an aftermarket sunroof, probably in the eighties... And the silver 2000 looked a treat on lowered suspension in the parking lot. The vantage points for watching the track are good at this event although in the last few years there have been grand stands erected to make better use of the views where this year spectators crammed in to make watching the cars a bit harder.

Another lucky find were copies of Giorgio Nada's "ASA L'epopea della Ferrarina" and "ABARTH 595 & 695" purchased together for less than the going rate for one. I got a nice drive on the Tweed Valley way in my Touring and i'm home in time for lunch and a nap so all in all, a successful day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I'll be there next year Ben in the Super, once I feel safe taking it on the highway! Deja vu. I think I said that last year...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ben.. The 037 is delightful. Does it live down under or was it brought in?
It lives here, down your way I suspect because its got CH plates on it. It has been in the country about 6 months, the owner bought it from a French collection - I'm sure he was inspired by the fact that it is hte only RHD car built. It is delightful, my biggest regret was not seeing it in action! I saw it tootling round inside the paddock, but not out on the circuit and if you saw the circuit you can imagine that it might have well been the fastest car on it all day!

The 037 always looked big to me in photos, but its really no bigger than a Stratos, it just has such a fantastic presence. A bit like being in the company of a celebrity.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I couldnt help myself and had to go both days! Awesome event. Wonderful friendly atmoshere and an open pits. Not much for the italophile, but a fantastic collection of automotive history, polished and thrashed mercilessly around a very tight and unforgiving street circuit. Brilliant!

I havent seen the resuls yet, but I think Andrew Wilson's 105 below, got around fastest of all the Alfa's. It went like stink. Bit disappointed I didnt win the raffle (in the middle) too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
MMmmmmm a Marone S1 Berlina!! Very very nice!

But what 's the go with that Cpillar badge. Gee some people know how to wreck a good thing.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice pics Gerard, shame we didn't catch up. I realised that I left your phone number at home when I got there!

The 037 just dazzled me, I loved it. And Andrew Wilson's 105 is a very quick machine - and well driven.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice pics Gerard, shame we didn't catch up. I realised that I left your phone number at home when I got there!

The 037 just dazzled me, I loved it. And Andrew Wilson's 105 is a very quick machine - and well driven.
I have the same excuse Ben! (At least I realised when I was on the way!) We'll have to keep trying.

I have a photo of the Stratos, 037 and the real GT40 all lined up along side each other. Drool, drool. I ended up with about 600 photo's, mostly lame, but its an unforgettable weekend...again!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a pretty good job of limiting my photo-taking this year. Mainly because I am fortunate to have seen a lot of the cars that were there before, but also because I am sitting on ten years worth of car shows and racing events that I have taken photos at!

I did shoot off a roll of 35mm on Saturday too, which I'm more excited about getting back! You had a good vantage point Gerard from where you saw the Ami and the 037. I was there the year before and got good shots of the twin-engined Mini kissing the guard rails.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Ciao Tutte,

Sadly, all the competing Alfa Romeos were cars that had been there every year - sadly, as I always look forward to seeing something new!
Ben, the dark blue Duetto was new to SoT - an ex-South African car just finished before the race, owned by Paul Young of Sunshine Auto Electrical at Tweed Heads. The paint is immaculate and it has a leather interior - very sweet.

I got some video of Andrew Wilson off the ground over the hump leading to Museum Corner on his last run on Saturday - he was really flying (literally, hey?) as was one of the Brabhams. The Stratos and the 037 both ran on Saturday, as did the Stanguellini FJ.

How about some more Italian entries next year? They accept cars without cages etc in the Flat Caps Masters section which is untimed - you wouldn't know it, as most Flat Caps entrants were going Flat Stick anyway. Except maybe for the 1967 Pontiac GTO, but then, if I was driving a 2-speed auto wallowmobile with that much grunt and that little braking around the right angle bends at Murwillumbah, I wouldn't be pushing it either.:)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
- you wouldn't know it, as most Flat Caps entrants were going Flat Stick anyway. Except maybe for the 1967 Pontiac GTO, but then, if I was driving a 2-speed auto wallowmobile with that much grunt and that little braking around the right angle bends at Murwillumbah, I wouldn't be pushing it either.:)
Yeah, I bet that's what the guy driving the jensen interceptor was thinking just after he saved it from kissing the barriers coming out from the corner after the petrol station (where you were very well perched on a petrol pump...), fishtailing and making the crowd nearly very happy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts