Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special spedo cable for a 69 GTV? Mine broke, I bought a new one from IAP and the thing will not seat in the back of the gauge. Its a Jager gauge. Am I missing something? I did try the search function, but didn't find anything.

thanks,
Will

·
Super Moderator
10,177 Posts
All 4 cylinder Alfas in the 101-105-115 series take the same speedo cable.

Can you better describe "will not seat in the back of the gauge"?

Is it possible that the square end of the old cable is broken off in the hole at the back of the gauge, preventing the new one from inserting?

The inner cable can slide axially in the sheath. So, perhaps too much inner cable is sticking out at the gauge end, preventing the sheath from seating. Just pull it back a bit from the transmission end while twisting it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Is there a special spedo cable for a 69 GTV? Mine broke, I bought a new one from IAP and the thing will not seat in the back of the gauge. Its a Jager gauge. Am I missing something? I did try the search function, but didn't find anything.

thanks,
Will
Will, this isn't much help but I had the same problem. I lived with no speedo for a few years and then got a new cable (again) this spring and it slipped in place perfectly.:confused: I didn't compare the old one with th new one but got the former from IAP and the latter from Centerline.

John

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The end of the cable will not slide into the gauge far enough to screw the collar on. There is nothing broken, the old cable slips right on, but the new one won't come close. The old cable broke on the transmission end, not the gauge end. The transmission end went on just fine but under the dash is not interested.

Will

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi,

It is possible you have a bit stuck at the transimssion end that is pushing the cable further towards the speedo, or it simply isn't seated properly (square section not seated properly so not "in" the hole but sitting on it).

Unscrew the transmission end and leave it out to see if it fits into the speedo just with that end only. If so, the problem is at the transmission end, if not you just wasted your time and I'm sorry but at least you know that isn't the problem.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying to install it before attaching it to the transmission. I know that end works as it was spinning as I took it out for a drive this afternoon. It just doesn't want to seat into the back of the gauge. I spun the cable trying to get it to seat and it just wouldn't get any closer. I think I spent the better part of 3 hours messing with it.

Will

1 - 6 of 6 Posts