Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body know if there were any special 1750 GTV models produced in 1971, with special engine/equipment, seats, aluminum wheels and or aluminum body metal? If so does anybody know what the number of units produced are?

Thanks Franco

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Serial Numbers and # Sequence for 1971 1750 GTAm

Does anybody know what the serial numbers to the GTAm's are like and
how much different are they from the normal 1971 GTV serial number sequence?
Also is there a any Alfa owner out there (in US) of the GTAm that has a clean
original condition to see what these cars really look like. The reason I'm asking is
I once (14 yrs ago) went to view an Alfa GTV? that really looked different (seats &
mag wheels) very much different from the steel rims and normal seats a normal
GTV would have and I believe now that it was a GTAm and I'm trying to track the
owner down who last had it.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
To my knowledge, the GTAm was based on the type 10551 US version 1750 GTV. As such, the chassis numbers should start 153xxxx. I believe that certain chassis were pulled from production for GTAm conversion. If so, then GTAm chassis numbers would be random, not sequential.

·
Registered
354 Posts
GTAm

Frank-
Keep in mind the GTAm's would have had the "wide-body" fiberglass fenders riveted on..........and I think you would remember that as an outstanding feature! (besides the wheels and seats) so, it most likely wasn't a GTAm.

-JT

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
GTAm's were never produced without flared fenders!

Frank-
Keep in mind the GTAm's would have had the "wide-body" fiberglass fenders riveted on..........and I think you would remember that as an outstanding feature! (besides the wheels and seats) so, it most likely wasn't a GTAm.

-JT
Thanks, JT

So you are essentually saying that no GTAm's were ever produced without the flared fenders, because I agree with you if they were only flared then the car I seen was a normal GTV with possibly upgraded wheels and seats, the rest looked the same as my current GTV. I just recall the beautiful alfa bucket seats with Alfa logo in the seats & cross seatbelts with really nice Aluminum wheels.

I remember something about aluminum fenders, but if they were they definately non flared I would remembered that. I don't recall the engine or any other feature as I was much young at the time(22 yrs ago not 14)
I recently read that GTAm's had twin plugs and were pushing 220 HP.

Regardless, I still want to track that 71 1750 GTV down as I understand the car is still owned by the same owner and may willing to pass it on to another enthusiast. The owner has apparently retired, somewhere out of the lower mainland.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
One sure fire way to tell is submit the chassis number to Storico Alfa.
If it is one of the original factory to Autodelta GTAms it will be recorded as sold to Autodelta from Alfa.
If it is a later back to Autodelta conversion from road car then the only way to guarantee authenticity is through the documention that comes with the car, otherwise known as the 'grey zone' (where BS reigns supreme).

·
Registered
354 Posts
GTAm

I don't believe there were any GTAms without them, but I can't say it's beyond the realm of possibility.
Even 20+ years ago (man, the 80's don't seem that long ago!) GTAs were coveted pieces of machinery........ and people were taking GTVs and putting all sorts of GTA bits on them. I believe back in the early 80's one could buy some of the competition bits over the counter through places like Bobcor and the like. My guess is the car you are referring to is a hopped-up GTV. Even if it's not as "special" as a real GTAm, it still sounds like an excellent adventure! Good luck and keep us posted.

-JT

Thanks, JT

So you are essentually saying that no GTAm's were ever produced without the flared fenders, because I agree with you if they were only flared then the car I seen was a normal GTV with possibly upgraded wheels and seats, the rest looked the same as my current GTV. I just recall the beautiful alfa bucket seats with Alfa logo in the seats & cross seatbelts with really nice Aluminum wheels.

I remember something about aluminum fenders, but if they were they definately non flared I would remembered that. I don't recall the engine or any other feature as I was much young at the time(22 yrs ago not 14)
I recently read that GTAm's had twin spark and were pushing 220 HP.

Regardless, I still want to track that 71 1750 GTV down as I understand the car is still owned by the same owner and may willing to pass it on to another enthusiast. The owner has apparently retired, somewhere out of the lower mainland.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If it didn't have the flares, t/s engine etc then it wasn't a GTAm.
However, as has been stated, it could well have been an optioned up regular GTV, as parts were available if you had the money.
A friend of mine here has a '69 1300 (by chassis number) that was delivered new with a 1600GTA engine and gearbox in place of the stock unit. This was just ordered as an option and fitted for the buyer. I'm guessing that would have doubled the new price of the car, probably cheaper than a GTA at the time though.
While it is not a GTA and he does not make any such claims, it is now still a very rare and desirable peice of Alfa history and proof that such things did, and still do exist.
Like all such stories, the current owner bought it from a fellow (2nd or 3rd owner) who rarely used it in the past 25 years, and seemed somewhat oblivious to anything out of the ordinary! I had to almost convince him to go and hand the man some money, fast! He now realises what a bargain he got......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Plot thickens, & GTAm Photos

VSharp,

Thanks for the encouragement, I am determined even more now to find, where this Alfa has gone. It may be as you say that the alfa was infact ordered with upgraded options straight from the factory. Very interesting......

I now recall when I went to see this car back in 1985, which was a long time ago now, there was a mention the Alfa GTV/GTA? was imported directly by him from Italy/Switzerland, I cannot remember the particulars, though, but I do vividly remember something about Alum. fenders, and those Aluminum mags and those very different bucket seats with the alfa emblem stitching, the seats were definately different they were like race type seats with cross belts.

Many thanks to the GTA membership, for there patience and advice
I will keep you posted, as the story unfolds.

Does anybody have a source books/owners to look up or that could forward photos for more 1971 1750 GTV/GTAm interior/exterior photos of factory options like the interiors and exterior and race suspension etc.

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Does anybody have a source books/owners to look up...factory options like the interiors and exterior and race suspension etc.
The Alfa Performance Options Catalog lists all the factory options to turn a street 1750 GTV into a GTAm. If you'd like this catalog, please send me a private message.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Twin Plug, not Twin Spark

The GTA, GTA Jr, and GTAm cylinder head designs with two spark plugs per cylinder are called TWIN PLUG. The later design utilizing two spark plugs per cylinder is called TWIN SPARK.

I guess I'll never give up on this...

OldAlfaGuy

·
Registered
267 Posts
Alfa_Zag

"Does anybody have a source books/owners to look up or that could forward photos for more 1971 1750 GTV/GTAm interior/exterior photos of factory options like the interiors and exterior and race suspension etc."

There is an eBay-auction today ...
Alleggerita by Tony Adriaensens ...

... but for sure not the cheapest way to get informations

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Interior Photo's, chassisnumbers and flared fenders

Hi All,

You are right, Alleggerita is not the cheapest of books but it is to me a main source of data on GTA, GTA 1300 junior and GTAm. Photo's of the GTAm's interior can also be found in the book 'GTA' by Maurizio Tabucchi, published in 1994 by Giorgio Nada Editore, ISBN 88-7911-132-9.

On the matter of chassisnumbers; the Alleggerita book contains the chassisnumbers of some of the GTAm's that were built. In total 16 chassisnumbers are listed.

According to Tony Adriaensens the GTAm is based on the 105.51. The first set of homologation papers show only small flares to cover the front and rear tires, in successive homologation papers the flares become more elaborate like the ones we use to see on present day GTAm's.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Look in the other GTAm thread

Does anybody know what the serial numbers to the GTAm's are like and
how much different are they from the normal 1971 GTV serial number sequence?
Also is there a any Alfa owner out there (in US) of the GTAm that has a clean
original condition to see what these cars really look like. The reason I'm asking is
I once (14 yrs ago) went to view an Alfa GTV? that really looked different (seats &
mag wheels) very much different from the steel rims and normal seats a normal
GTV would have and I believe now that it was a GTAm and I'm trying to track the
owner down who last had it.

Hello Frank,

I have listed a selection of GTAm chassisnumbers in the 'Takis' GTAm thread.
Have a look overthere.

Ciao, Olaf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts