Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More pics that I've been meaning to post. I haven't seen these well documented elsewhere..

The first pic shows a factory 750 Sprint convertible conversion, and to the left a specially equipped 750 Sprint. Both were apparently shown at the 1956 Turin Auto Salon. Note the knock-off wheels, the wing-windows, white chrome seals, and the foglight options. Did any of these ever make it to production?

The second photo shows a 1958 101-Series Sprint with the optional foglight package and redesigned side-grills, chrome surrounds, and a single body-color center bar. I think this is a very elegant solution and looks better than the standard 101 front end. A factory brochure from 1958 reproduced in the same book indicates this option could be special ordered from the factory and I have seen one or two contemporary photos of cars with this option, but haven't seen an actual car with these.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
The Giulietta Bertone Sprint convertible shown in your first picture still exists. It has been restored in 2004 by Fabio Calligaris in Italy for a collector in Switzerland.

There is a great thread about Giulietta Sprint prototypes here, and one about Giulietta Bertone Spider prototypes here (showing the convertible from your post in color).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sprint Convertible

The Giulietta Bertone Sprint convertible shown in your first picture still exists. It has been restored in 2004 by Fabio Calligaris in Italy for a collector in Switzerland.

There is a great thread about Giulietta Sprint prototypes here, and one about Giulietta Bertone Spider prototypes here (showing the convertible from your post in color).
Reudi- (disregard my earlier post-deleted)
Can you post the link showing the convertible Sprint in color? I couldn't seem to find it.

Phil

·
Registered
9,475 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for the pic's the foglight package is very nice looking. From the brochure in the Alfieri book. "Fog lamps fittings. It can be ordered as a seperate unit complete with mounting brackets and hollow intake fairing, painted in the colour of the car. Please specify No. of chassis." (pg 53)
I wonder if anyone know the fog light manufacturer. It would be interesting for someone to rercreate this package especially if the original parts could be found. By the way I have always been curious how the racing style foglights were attached on either side of the center grill above the side grills. Are they simply drilled into the body work or was there some kind of mount that was used? For a reference the 1956 Mille miglia car number 106 has them on page 89 of Alfieris book. As does number 233 on the tour of Sicily from page 85 and 86. They almost look to be mounted on the eyebrows but I can't find any pictures with enough detail. I actually have a nice set of period foglights but I don't dare try to mount them as any possible way seems to involve some drilling. Any ideas? I guess once I get the time machine up and running I'll just have to order the foglight package.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thanks, Reudi. I didn't go far enough along that thread. Interesting orangy (metallic?) color on that Bertone convertible.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pic's the foglight package is very nice looking. From the brochure in the Alfieri book. "Fog lamps fittings. It can be ordered as a seperate unit complete with mounting brackets and hollow intake fairing, painted in the colour of the car. Please specify No. of chassis." (pg 53)
I wonder if anyone know the fog light manufacturer. It would be interesting for someone to rercreate this package especially if the original parts could be found. By the way I have always been curious how the racing style foglights were attached on either side of the center grill above the side grills. Are they simply drilled into the body work or was there some kind of mount that was used? For a reference the 1956 Mille miglia car number 106 has them on page 89 of Alfieris book. As does number 233 on the tour of Sicily from page 85 and 86. They almost look to be mounted on the eyebrows but I can't find any pictures with enough detail. I actually have a nice set of period foglights but I don't dare try to mount them as any possible way seems to involve some drilling. Any ideas? I guess once I get the time machine up and running I'll just have to order the foglight package.
I've only seen the foglamp grille in those books you mentioned. I've never seen an actual car with it, or the parts listed anywhere. Maybe someone else has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts