Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! The filler neck hose has a half inch crack in the side against the fender liner, right above the hose clamp. Hoping to replace it with one from my parts car BUT how do I get the danged hose clamps off: the two that attach the filler hose to the fuel "port" neck? I've seen plenty of hose clamps, but these look like crimp jobs that I have not seen. A small, flat, crimping piece. Going to investigate my parts car now, whilst I wait for sage advice. We are down to just the Spider for driving! My wagon won't start (a bad sensor, but it takes an OBD1 to see if it's thrown a code, no the paperclip trick doesn't work on 95 Caprices), the pickup diesel return lines are leaking (got the kit to repair that) AND you have to wear a mask to work outside because the air quality is completely off the charts bad. You guessed it, I'm in Oregon!

V.o_O

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I suppose finding another filler neck hose is going to require quite a bit of begging, or asking the APE man, who I am friends with...Trying to get the part off the parts car, but I'm worried that it's condition might be not that good. It might have completely lost its flexibility. Will know soon enough, just being a worry wort...:confused:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The main filler neck hose is rigid plastic - no flexibility required. The original clamps can be junked - just be careful when removing them to avoid pipe damage. Take your time.
For new clips, just get big enough jubilee clips and it should be fine. Where the rigid plastic pipe goes to the tank there is a short rubber join. I imagine it would be worth replacing this to ensure a good seal, once you break the original. Again jubilee clips should do the job - unless anyone knows any different.
BTW, on jobs like this I use full stainless (W4) clips - plenty strong enough and not going to sieze from corrosion.

·
Premium Member
27,510 Posts
Since your 164s are 91-93 models there are two different fuel filler tubes - pre-96V recall with external threads for cap with internal threads and Post-96V recall with internal threads in filler for cap with male threaded cap. So are both cars the same or different? I think (6V recall filler tube prolly has those crimped one time use clamps as my original filler pre-recall 96V filler had clamps that took a straight slot screwdriver and they failed and caused the leak that created the 96V recall.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK! Defeated whatever the clamps were on "fuel port" end of the hose with side cutters, defeated a frozen hose clamp, with no head, on the parts car, with my huge bolt cutters. That was fun! After a thorough soaking in the kitchen sink and serious scrubbing, the parts car neck tube is furcking beautiful. On it goes tomorrow. You're right about stainless clamps. I got some at NAPA which ain't. Would be a good idea to find stainless. What the heck is a jubilee clamp? Sounds like fun...And luckily both my parts cars are 1991. Thanks! Didn't even think about disconnecting the battery. I did loosen the gas cap though...

V

Reactions: richardbradford

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Glad it worked out well. Jubilee clamp just a name for a type of hose clamps. Sure you'll find something good State-side, regardless of name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts