Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 164L. While I had my door panel removed this week I noticed that the speaker looked rotted. Closer inspection revealed that the "surround" is rotted away, the rest of the speaker (cone) seems good. I started to look for replacement speakers, but soon learned that speaker surrounds can be replaced. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
1st I heard of this. Has anyone done it?

·
1991 164L
27,634 Posts
Don't think so if you are referring to rubber perimeter around speaker paper cone.

I have just replace speakers with 6, 6 1/4 or 6 1/2 round ones that fit right into opening in metal mount riveted to door.

Just remove speaker and note + - wire hook up and tag them then match outer size of old with new.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never heard of this either, but I like the idea of keeping the original speakers. I just ordered some foam surrounds on ebay, which I hope will fit. Attached is a youtube of the procedure.

Rick

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
You can do this, but it isn't really worth the effort on an old weathered car speaker, IMHO. If you glue the new surrounds on and the cone is not exactly centered they will buzz at the voice coil. The spider should still be good and help with the centering, but you could still spend time and money doing the repair and still end up with a buzzing speaker. A vintage set of home speakers (ARs, or Quads or something along those lines) that have some kind of collector value, yes, it would be worth the effort. I usually search ebay for good used speakers on the cheap. Look for Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, JBL, Infinity, Alpine, etc. Rubber surrounds are the best to look for as they last a lot longer than foam or cloth surrounds.
Charles

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My replacement surrounds have arrived. To remove the speakers from the front doors, do I need to drill the four large rivets holding them? When reinstalling the speakers should I use large rivets again?

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The speakers are reinstalled, they sound great. The new surrounds cost about $5.50 including shipping. I also covered them with new air conditioner filter foam, about $6.00 including shipping. I did use large large rivits to fasten the speakers.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Rick...where did you get the surrounds? What's the purpose of the A/C foam?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought surrounds on Ebay, used measurements, not part numbers, see link below, if link doesnt work just search ebay for "6 1/2" speaker surrounds".

6 1/2" FOAM SPEAKER SURROUNDS-BEST QUALITY,spkr repair | eBay

NOTE: I did not try scrape off the old foam surround that was glued to the paper speaker cone, I didnt think I'd get it clean/smooth enough for new one to adhere, it seemed stable and the new glue (Elmers Glue All) I put on top made it more stable.

I used the A/C foam to replace the layer deteriorated foam/sponge that was covering the front of the speaker. I guess it is additional protection.

Rick

·
1991 164L
27,634 Posts
Amazing what is out there to actually repair stuff and not having to throw away old and buy new. I never even thought such a repair itme existed.

Learned something today so that was good.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Amazing what is out there to actually repair stuff and not having to throw away old and buy new. I never even thought such a repair itme existed.

Learned something today so that was good.
Agreed, great work Rick :)
Satisfying to make such a repair.
I know the large rivets you mentioned too - I replaced those with self-tap screws.

I actually have a speaker problem to deal with. In the early 164 the speakers were 5-1/4" mounted in the door pockets - quite flimsy, not acoustically good. One speaker is blown because it was plugged in to the red/red-white wires intended for the under-door light. That must have sounded good when the door was opened! The other speaker was plugged into the wires for the electric mirror. You can see why the later cars used different plugs for these components...

Anyway I will be doing what I did to my own '89 164 - I cut out a piece of 18mm MDF, roughly square, to fit inside the door metalwork. Then I cut a hole in the MDF for a 6" speaker, mounting it with woodscrews and sealing around the edges with bitumen sheet, with a new plastic sheet behind to keep water away. The MDF really stiffens things up and gives good acoustics. I use either the factory-fitted tweeter or the one that comes with the speaker (Clarion components) which just fits in the original hole provided in the trim ahead of the door pull.

-Alex

-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Take a look at these on EBAY....I have considered them myself for some time but it seems we can get better after market speakers for the same price or less.

Alfa Romeo 164 radio stereo Speakers rear 1993 TESTED | eBay

If anyone recommends the original speakers above I will go for them......

I have endlessly repaired old speakers but in the end one is better off paying about $100 for a reasonably good set.
I listen to the music, not the speakers.....

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I bought used Polk Audio speakers on ebay for about the same money and they are much better sounding in every regard than the original speakers.
Charles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts