Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I am restoring the upholstery of my GT 1300 Junior.
Does anybody know where did the factory originally install the speakers? (If they installed any speakers...)
I was thinking about putting them in the rear seat side panels where they are not very visible...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
In 1750/2000's they were in the sides of the centre console, but I dont think the junior has a centre console does it?

Why dont you use the parcel shelf?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'll try and take a picture later, but they're mounted on the sides of the console, projecting into the foot wells if you catch my drift. You'll need to cut a hole, yes.

Its not ideal because in the front of the car you'll always have at least one speaker projecting sound away from you, but hey - you can still hear them!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is a picture of one of the speaker holes in a 1750 GTV. There is one on each side of the centre console. This picture was recently posted by Papajam in response to a question I asked about how the centre console joins the dash. The holes are in exactly the same place on my 1750 GTV, so I assume this was a done at the factory. My car has a mono radio fitted, so the speaker hole on the passenger side is just covered over with a bit of vinyl.

Ollie

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have just installed speakers in the shelf behind the rear seats. here is what I did (sorry I don't have photos yet!)

The rear shelf comes out easily and I found the card already had holes cut into it. I then used punches such as the following:
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-HOLLOW-PUNCHES-LEATHER-PUNCH-TOOLS_W0QQitemZ170155294641QQihZ007QQcategoryZ50380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to punch regularly spaces holes in the leatherette. I actually used a pizza pan as a template: e.g.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cuisinart-Nonstick-Bakeware-14-Inch-Pizza-Pan-NIB_W0QQitemZ320164881628QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

except the ones I used had a very nice radial pattern.

I mounted each speaker into an MDF board and then but some batons into the space under the shelf, on top of the metal shelf and screwed it together to hold in place.

Sound is excellent as it reverbs in the trunk, and there are no speaker grills... and the holes in the leatherette look factory and non intrusive.

When I get pics I will upload them.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
It's a labour-intensive process, but punching all those little holes is a nice way to do it without having to find period-looking speaker grilles. The only potential problem with fitting them to the parcel shelf is that you might get exhaust gases entering the cabin if your boot (trunk) seal isn't perfect. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Alex.

PS - As far as I know, the speaker fitted to the top of the dashboard of my car was a reguar Alfa part, fitted as a dealer option. I'll see if I can dig up some photos ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like Alfa varied the position of the speaker depending on the year, model or market.
I have a 1974 GTV 2000 and the one speaker is on the parcel shelf. It is connected to a radio/8 track player so I guess it is original.
I did get pertrol (gas) fumes in the cabin when I had a leaking tank but since that has been repaired there are no problems.
Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whether there are holes or grills makes no difference, as the speakers themselves block the passage!

Here are some photos:

parcel shelf removed, card already had cut outs for speakers

rear shelf with holes for speakers (blocked with carpet)

pizza pan for circle layout!

paper template in position for hollow punches

end result

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Just to chime with a couple ideas, there were two distinct consoles used on the 105/115 coupes, one style generally used for 1750 series was able to accept small speakers, the style used with the 2000 coupes was shaped in manner that was not condusive to fitting speakers, so for the gt junior, it depends on which style console used. Another idea is hang small speakers from under the dash or attached to the front kick panels as per this photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Whether there are holes or grills makes no difference, as the speakers themselves block the passage!

Here are some photos:

parcel shelf removed, card already had cut outs for speakers

rear shelf with holes for speakers (blocked with carpet)

pizza pan for circle layout!

paper template in position for hollow punches

end result

Nice idea, looks good. But are those holes enough to let out the sound from the speakers?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes they are fine!. The sound is slightly muffled and if you were seriously into your tunes you might be a bit upset.... but I had the car at 65 with the window down and could still hear it perfectly fine! The speakers themselves are literally 1 inch below the holes. A bit of vinyl isn't going to stop them blasting out the sound.

If you are concerned about that, you can use bigger holes or more holes!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Or just get perforated leather for the whole shelf, then you wouldn't see them, and the sound would get through. Plus it looks great.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally I installed the speakers on the rear side panels...
These speakers used to be in the car and by looking at them i estimate that they are quite old...
This is how it looks...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts