Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm redoing my interior I'm considering installing speakers (there are none now), and now's the time to do it! I'd like to install them in the kick panels of my S2 Spider...but how? Could anyone post a pic of what it should look like? Do the speakers sit inside the metal portion that has a hole in it? Does it rest on the outside? How about the plastic panel? You see, a picture would be great:D

Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
There are no holes behind the kick panels. Please don't make any. If you search on the web you can find how-to info on making kick panel speaker enclosures from fiberglass and some old kick panels or wood. It's not that hard to do and saves cutting holes in your car.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
On an S2 there 'might' be holes already present there behind the carpet in the outside of the footboxes.
If so, 5 1/4" shallow speakers would be the size (well, 'normal' will indeed fit, but nothing 'deep')

Flush mount, low profile grillage.

If indeed no holes are present, making panels as suggested by 73gtv would work, but expect a bit of crowdiness around the clutch pedal. ie: you'll lose the thickness of the speaker plus another inch or so for panel thinkness and back clearance. (lay a bit of 2x4 in there up against the side panel and see if you can deal with the loss of space, and that would be on the thin side AFA what you'd lose)

If that's the case, it might be more in your interest to build something for the cargo shelf area. Either the deck itself or the outside panels.

Depending on condition of the door skins, there's enough holes already in the door proper to allow a speaker sorta under the window crank handle, just a matter of if you want to cut up old tired panels or basically destroy decent or new ones.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On an S2 there 'might' be holes already present there behind the carpet in the outside of the footboxes.
Here's a picture of the passenger side area. The hole is only 1.5 inches or so in diameter. I can imagine that if you have to build an enclosure on top of that panel that it would indeed stick some distance. Perhaps I'll investigate the side panel areas behind the seat.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had a Spider back in the 70's and put 6x9's in a package shelf I made for the area behind the seats. It covered the entire area and with carpeting looked pretty good. If you investigate the kick panel install you'll find that you build a ring on stilts affair that is angled toward the passenger area. The height will of course depend on the speakers you use. I agree there might be some clearance issues on the drivers side and you'd have to measure to be sure. You could do a mockup using cardboard.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Spider back in the 70's and put 6x9's in a package shelf I made for the area behind the seats. It covered the entire area and with carpeting looked pretty good.
Actually, when I bought the car, the PO had built a similar shelf out of plywood with 6x9s installed. Although the speakers were destroyed from rain, etc. I kept the shelf to use as a template if I decide to build another. I thought I'd rather have a shelf as an area to place my "stuff" on and not worry about whether I'm covering a speaker with a jacket for instance. So I'm thinking about other locations where the speakers would also point more at the seats than up in the air. Perhaps a shelf that has an angled face pointing forward?? I'll keep thinking!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
There's been a person or two who have put speakers in behind the outside air ducts in the dash if that's of any interest.

Granted they're tweater sized, but in combination with a nice set of single or dual cone rears could sound quite nice. (provided you don't mind losing the use of the fresh air duct of course...)

A bigger reach would be either set of recaro seats, or, the speakers from them or simular built into the factory headrests.

The only limitation is your imagination, even if cutting isn't part of the plan :)

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
add money, imagination, and stir!

·
Registered
859 Posts
One of the PO cut the doors to install speakers, I don't know why he did, all he had to do was to install more to the inside of the door and he would not have to cut any metal.
Because he cut the metal, he has caused a stress point in the door. I am getting the painter to fix it. First picture shows the hole location. Second picture shows the stress fractures that is caused by opening and closing the doors.

I'm thinking of installing them in the doors, but rather then cut my new door trims, I want to install spacer that gives me 60mm of space and to mount it on, i will only screw in to the door trim. What you think?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts