Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a '67 duetto and the plugs occasionally foul when I start it after it has been sitting for a while. I have a low pressure electric fuel pump that I run for a minute to fill the bowls of the carbs. I currently have NGK BP7ES plugs and the carbs are jetted to spec and it runs great once it's warmed up. Do I need a hotter spark plug?

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
your car orig. came with G/Lodge 2HL...and their direct NGK replacement is B7ES

...the B[P]7ES you have installed have a [P]rojected electrode........just wonder if that has something to do with it??

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Projected plug is fine (and probably better) as long as you don't have oversized valves.

NGK recommends BP7ES but a lot of people go one step warmer. Per Wes Ingram:

"Use BP6ES plugs for stock 9:1 compression. Use BP7ES for higher compression but with stock intake valves. Use B7ES for OS valves and B8ES for track and racing"

So not sure if it's your problem, but it probably can't hurt to try BP6ES. Personally on the carb'd 1750 I've tried both 6 and 7 and never really noticed a difference, but that's my car and tuning so your experience may be different.

I've been pretty happy with the NGK Iridiums (which would be BPR6EIX in the 6 heat range).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it must have been user error.
I drove it today after it had been sitting for a few days.
I gave it more choke than usual and it started no problem.
All good...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Projected plug is fine (and probably better) as long as you don't have oversized valves.

NGK recommends BP7ES but a lot of people go one step warmer. Per Wes Ingram:

"Use BP6ES plugs for stock 9:1 compression. Use BP7ES for higher compression but with stock intake valves. Use B7ES for OS valves and B8ES for track and racing"

So not sure if it's your problem, but it probably can't hurt to try BP6ES. Personally on the carb'd 1750 I've tried both 6 and 7 and never really noticed a difference, but that's my car and tuning so your experience may be different.

I've been pretty happy with the NGK Iridiums (which would be BPR6EIX in the 6 heat range).
Would this also hold true for a Spica car ??

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts