Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to finish my full tune up on my 164L either tomorrow or by Tuesday at the latest! After i replace my Fuel Injection Hoses and i'll be ready to replace most of the stuff i didn't replace yet!

Any suggestions on Spark Plugs, Windshield Wipers, or which headlight bulbs to buy? I already got my new Wix oil, fuel, and air filters? Those any good?

For the plugs, i was thinking NGK platinums or Bosch?

Wipers, maybe Bosch or Rain-X

and headlight bulbs i have no idea how to choose these.

I'm going to Seafoam my car as well. This is okay right? haha :)

Is there any suggestions on what to pick? Thanks guys. Also, about how much would it cost to have a mechanic replace my fuel filter for me? I have no idea, but some shop in San Fran wants $40 for it. And i bought my filter for 20.

·
Premium Member
16,234 Posts
What I've found to be satisfactory for my 164's are Roberk narrow refill (22N) 2222 blades, Sylvania Xtravision 9004 XV bulbs, and NGK Iridium BKR6EIX plugs (these are for the 91S and the 94LS, your car takes the BPR7EIX, a different heat range).

The simple refill blades work just fine and don't cost an arm and a leg like the complete replacement sets which tend to cost about $20 per blade. The 9004 XV bulbs are just a little brighter than the OEM and yet still have a decent life (the brighter bulbs run hotter and have a shorter lifetime, plus running the risk of overheating the plastic bulb holder). The NGK Iridium plugs are not inexpensive, about $6.50 ea at O'Reilly, but last a very very long time. Pulled the last set at about 40k miles, but actually still look ok, just needed regapping (why fiddle with plugs if you don't have to).

Others may have other recommendations which will also be satisfactory I'm sure. Your choice.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I just picked up a set of Valeo blades at Sam club for around 16 bucks for the pair for my Xterra. So far they are probably the cleanest wiping blades I have used in a long time. I'm a wiper snob 'cause I want to be able to see in the rain. If you want to get a set of blades with the drivers side airfoil get a set of 1st gen Volvo S/V 40 blades from the dealer. They are made by Valeo but run about 45 bucks a pair. They will usually last about a year depending on where you live. Bosch blades usually last me about 3 months before I chunk them.

Paul

·
Premium Member
27,375 Posts
Any suggestions on Spark Plugs, and headlight bulbs I have no idea how to choose these.

Is there any suggestions on what to pick? Thanks guys. Also, about how much would it cost to have a mechanic replace my fuel filter for me? I have no idea, but some shop in San Fran wants $40 for it. And I bought my filter for 20.
I am old school on plugs for my 164B/L models and use Champion Copper Plus 415 set (regapped) at 0.025" to 0.028" Max. You can't beat this good old school plugs costing aboit $1.25 on ebay.

Good brand of a 9004 headlight bulb (carry a spare).

As for paying to have filter done I don't think so you can do that if you can change a sparkplug.

see this: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...ing-164-external-fuel-filter.html#post1018497

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm planning to finish my full tune up on my 164L either tomorrow or by Tuesday at the latest! After i replace my Fuel Injection Hoses and i'll be ready to replace most of the stuff i didn't replace yet!

Any suggestions on Spark Plugs, Windshield Wipers, or which headlight bulbs to buy? I already got my new Wix oil, fuel, and air filters? Those any good?

For the plugs, i was thinking NGK platinums or Bosch?

Wipers, maybe Bosch or Rain-X

and headlight bulbs i have no idea how to choose these.

I'm going to Seafoam my car as well. This is okay right? haha :)

Is there any suggestions on what to pick? Thanks guys. Also, about how much would it cost to have a mechanic replace my fuel filter for me? I have no idea, but some shop in San Fran wants $40 for it. And i bought my filter for 20.
You don't have to do the filter for a while, I did that not too long ago :D

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Oh yeah, did the plugs, cap and rotor not long ago either, so save your parts till you need them :)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Seafoaming a car is a waste of time and can only lead to trouble IMHO. How many threads have we seen here that start like this, "Seafoamed my car and now... (it runs bad, or doesn't run, etc)."
Charles

·
Premium Member
16,234 Posts
The only "treatments" that work in my opinion are the FI system detergent cleaners such as Techron. Never hurts to keep the injectors clean, as testing shows happens with their use. I have used them now and then through the years and have never had a problem with injectors in any of my injected Alfas. Otherwise, I feel that other general "treatments" tend to be huckster potions. Just not needed.

Keep everything clean and adjusted, and all will be right with the world. Works for me anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts