Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Was Out Shopping With My Wife At A Second Hand Store (one of my wife's "hobbies") This Weekend. They Had A Ford Spare Saver And It Looked Like It Would Fit My Alfa Spider So I Bought It - It Didn't Fit (it was a 4 x 100 lug pattern) But I Went To A Local "pick-n-pull" The Next Day (armed with a measuring tape this time) And Purchased An Unused 4 x 108 Spare Saver (from a late model Ford Focus - it's a 125 x 80 x 15) For $4.25. They Are Pretty Much An Unwanted Item Hence The Cheap Price. I Think I'm Going To Go Back And Buy A Set Of Them So I Have The Ability To Roll A Car Around In The Shop. Of Course This Spare Saver Would Also Fit Gtv's, Berlina's, Supers, etc. (and probably 750 & 101 series cars).

-John

Attachments

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Old news! That must have been mentioned a decade ago on the old Yahoo group. Still, they are good and cheap over here too.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
There were other Fords with 4x108 wheels. I know a guy who runs Ford wheels on his race car - obviously not the bagels.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
One of my sons cars is a Pontiac solstice. It has no spare at all, not even a space for one. The car came from the factory with a can of goop inflater. Seems just about the lightest solution short of carry no protection.

Are there any downsides to this strategy?

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
With older type tires that had a decent sized sidewall you could easily detect when a tire was deflating. It is not so easy with low profile tires. A few years ago I had a new tire deflate on the interstate and it was destroyed before I realized what was happening and brought it to a safe standstill. A can of inflater would have been useless.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Old news! That must have been mentioned a decade ago on the old Yahoo group. Still, they are good and cheap over here too.
Old news can be good news!

The car came from the factory with a can of goop inflater. Seems just about the lightest solution short of carry no protection.

Are there any downsides to this strategy?
It might work for a small puncture (nail) but not a major blowout. But it seems as long as you run decent tires in good condition, major tire failures are uncommon.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
This year I started winter at what would normally be my post winter weight, and then gained a little weight during the hibernation. Needless to say, the car is going to feel a little slower this Spring, so to offset this gain, I need to remove an equal amount of weight from the car. So.... can you tell me how much that spare weighs?

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
can you tell me how much that spare weighs?
It will depend upon which wheel and what size & model of tire. My original steel wheel with a standard size tire weighs 36# and my Ford mini spare weighs 25#

1 - 13 of 13 Posts