Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a match for my 45DCOE9, (Original made in Italy), Carburetor. I have heard that Webers, (DCOE's), made in Spain, (as opposed to Italy), are inferior and or troublesome, as are the Weber "Knock-off's" coming out of China? I'm not looking for "opinions" here but Facts, based on true experiences with these "lessor" Carbs. Thanks all. Bob Lesher in Oregon

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
Your biggest problem with trying to mix and match isn't going to be build quality, it's making sure they perform the same. Different Weber series carbs often have different progression hole drillings, so you can't just rejet them to match.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Spanish Weber’s I had on a non Alfa were not troublesome. As above however matching a new carb to old may be problematic. Not least the progression holes.

Jonathan

·
Super Moderator
12,304 Posts
Do you have a photo of your existing Italian 45DCOE9 showing WHICH variation it is? Here is one example. This is a fairly early Italian 45DCOE9 large top variation.

These were available with either 2 or 3 progression holes.

You can't match a 2 progression hole with a 3, or 3 with a 2.

My fingers are near one of the large top corners on this one. You don't want to match a large top 45DCOE9 large top with a 45DCOE9 small top if both have 3 progression holes because the holes on the one or the other may be different sizes, BECAUSE,

Some 45DCOE9's had NOTCHED butterfly plates and some did not.
What posters to this thread are getting at is that there are several different 45DCOE9 Italian Weber variations, and you need one to match what you have.
If you contact me with your email address and photos, I may be able to identify what you are trying to match.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have used Spanish made webers in the past and they are fine. I personally have not used the knockoffs so can't comment on them.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heres my experience with chinese dcoe's and IDF's. I've used both extensively on cars the owners didnt want to spend money right away on the genuine deal.
The DCOE 45s I put on an alfa fast road/trackday motor. These were 5 progression hole versions we paid extra for. Worked perfectly for 20k mls. As good as an injection system for smoothness and progression. After 20k they started sucking air from the throttle shaft bearings. Upon inspection, the bearings were spinning freely in the housing. Rather than rebuild I replaced with Dellorto 45's and good as ever.
With IDFs I've had issues with crappy gaskets leaking, jets no where near what's stamped on them. Pump jets were stamped 50 but were actually as cast 70-75. They are a casting on these carbs. Not bored. Brass jets were correct in size. Progression holes also drilled in the wrong place in my opinion for the engines I installed them on. Couldn't get rid of a progression stumble on maybe 5-6 installations.
The throttles levers are also a little crude.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts