Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was selling a sump guard on the BB FS section - here was a PM I received in reply from "kalla"
What do you think? Heck or a deal or not :)

Hello

I am interested in buying the Sump guard that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffiths

Should you need to reply to me, Please get back in touch with your details to me at:[email protected] for a quick reply.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I recall posts along these lines being reported in one of the threads in the Suggestions Forum. We felt that it should be reported to Simon, and Simon actually chimed in on the thread and asked who had received these type of PMs. Simon was very quick to investigate and ban the individual...

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Kalla, asking for all this personal info and offering to pay by certified cheque, sounds like a real scammer, rather than a spammer. I'd ask for his certified cheque and then I would turn it over to the FBI...

Best regards,

·
Registered
36 Posts
My guess is after he tells you he has deposited the cheque in your account he will say something like.....
"I accidently deposited 1500 intead of 150.Please re-deposit the additional 1000 back into my account ASAP"

Either that or he is phishing for your bank details....
It sounds like your typical Nigerian scam.......:confused:

Well spotted
Steven

·
Out of the office!
11,620 Posts
I was selling a sump guard on the BB FS section - here was a PM I received in reply from "kalla"
What do you think? Heck or a deal or not :)

Hello

I am interested in buying the Sump guard that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffiths

Should you need to reply to me, Please get back in touch with your details to me at:[email protected] for a quick reply.
Your's interestingly? I think he wants you! Better watch out. :eek:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No this is the typical Nigerian money scam, no different than Craigslist. They will send a phoney certified check that your bank will cash and a about a week after you have shipped the item and spent the money your bank will call and say you owe us X??? amount to cover check. I've been following this scam for years now. Trust me I spent two years in Lagos and watched this evolve into a multi million dollar high tech operation. Boiler rooms with 19" flat screen monitors and the fastest PC's and dozens of operators fishing the U.S. BB and forums. Heck I was selling some camera equiptment about a year ago and got almost the identical email, then two months the same thing here on Craigslist for another item.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is why I hate selling **** and end up keeping everything.:)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have since decided to use it as a paperweight:D. On second thought, it might be used as protection for that fine looking Stetson of yours.:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
sump guard

Sorta odd he would ask about the condition of a sump guard. I'm not sure he even knows what a sump guard is. Sump guards are not generally judged at Concours. Maybe he has plans on getting it chromed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Kalla, asking for all this personal info and offering to pay by certified cheque, sounds like a real scammer, rather than a spammer. I'd ask for his certified cheque and then I would turn it over to the FBI...

Best regards,
I used to really enjoy buying things on e-bay and other electronic means. However, all of these thieves coming out of the woodwork has really made me un-easy about sending money to anyone I do not know.

It really is a shame when you think about it. I can't help but wonder how many decent people have been burned with these scams.

From this day forward - I will never believe a 1992 Veloce with 18,000 miles in excellent condition and free shipping for $2,925.00 I really hate these people with a vengence:mad:

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kalla, asking for all this personal info and offering to pay by certified cheque, sounds like a real scammer, rather than a spammer.
Dunno, IMO he sounds like a scummer:( rather than a scammer or a spammer.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've even had them say OK, I'll send my delivery company to pick up locally, with cash what is your address? I give them my "Business" address which happens to be the U.S. Marshall's office in down Town San Diego. Funny, they never show up with the cash and never email me again. :)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Sorta odd he would ask about the condition of a sump guard. I'm not sure he even knows what a sump guard is. Sump guards are not generally judged at Concours. Maybe he has plans on getting it chromed.
Maybe he knows LM. :eek: In that case he would be expecting that the reason for selling the sump guard is because it has seen rain (once) and therefore it is no longer worthy. Furthermore, I would bet that it is not a candidate to be chromed, since it is painted in the correct aluminum color! Right, LM? :D

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I have had second thoughts on selling to a BB'er that only had a few posts. IMO the seller has the right to refuse to sell to a new member and this should be understood.

When I sell stuff on the BB I look at the person's profile and how long they have been a member. If they haven't been a member for a while I look up the posts and threads they have done or started.

I had this happen to me a while back with a member that had less than 10 posts and all of them were in the "FS/WTB" section for both buying and selling. I ended up selling to another member that has been a member sense 2003.

The rotten thing about it was the new member could of been a legit buyer, I was just worried because he was a new member with few posts.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I have had second thoughts on selling to a BB'er that only had a few posts. IMO the seller has the right to refuse to sell to a new member and this should be understood. ...
As a seller I would simply ask for the money first, and request either paypal or a money order. If they payment came in the form of a foreign drawn check for more than the amount required (and especially if the "buyer" was requesting "his change"), I would simply turn it over to the FBI.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Zunige is right, I actually had a few of these certified checks (worthless) and I actually deposited them and told my bank of my concerns. They held on to it and in twelve days it came back as fraudulent. I never used any funds and they turned it over to the Feds and they did the research. Same old song and dance. The buyer blew up my email for all those days asking about their items and couriers money (Western Union to phoeny shipping co.) Moral, always wait until finds clear.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Look what I just got on an item I put up for sell weeks ago.

You have received a new private message at Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums from kalla, entitled "Brake Master Cylinder".

Hello

I am interested in buying the Brake Master Cylinder that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffiths

1 - 20 of 41 Posts