Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a suggestion as to what car may make a suitable doner for a space saving spare for my GT?

I would like to fit one of these in the spare wheel well and store 'essentials' on top of it such as oil and the like - rather than in the boot area.

Matt

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Not sure I can really help Matt, but seriously do you really want to have a space saver tyre/wheel? They are pretty crap to drive on.

I carry an inventory of tools, oil etc in my GTV in a box in the boot, and while it takes up a little room, I am not sure it really is a problem. From my perspective I would rather have the comfort of knowledge I have a real spare to put on my car, in the rare event I might need it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no problems with space saver tyres - have used them on a few occasions. Its either that or I buy a steel spare - I only have 4 alloys !!! ;-(
Matt

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I have actually thought of this recently too. I hated it when the space saver tire began and swore I'd never have anything but a full sized spare. Now my feelings have changed. Having some room on top of a small wheel is appealing to me now. Driving slowly home after a flat is OK to me now too.

You have to look for cars that have a 4x108 bolt pattern. Here in the US the Fords with 4 bolts are 108. The Ford Focus, Tempo, Probe, etc. They may have different names in your part of the world.

I've been looking for something for my Alfetta too. But nothing exists here in the US with a 4x98 pattern that has a space saver. The Fiat 500 has just landed on our shores, maybe that has a 4x98.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I can't suggest any vehicles, but as a thought, if your rear end has LSD, it may not be good for it to have to run with two different diameter wheels for any length of time. So try to be close in overall diameter to whatever you're running as your normal wheel/tyre combination.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks iachella. I did a search and fund this on ebay's help pages:

98mm Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lada and Lancia

108mm Early Audi 4 stud, Ferrari (5 stud, so don't think you can stick a set of F50 wheels on your Fiesta!), Ford 4 stud, Jaguar X type, Peugeot early Porsche 4 stud, Renault 5 stud, Early Saab, TVR and Volvo

So, I can delve a little further....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't suggest any vehicles, but as a thought, if your rear end has LSD, it may not be good for it to have to run with two different diameter wheels for any length of time. So try to be close in overall diameter to whatever you're running as your normal wheel/tyre combination.
Good point!
Matt

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,045 Posts
i have a space saver in my 84 spider.. i just went to the wrecker.. knowing i need a least a 24" tall tire..ford,audi.. yes saab spare worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I use a saab 900 space saver in my 71gtj, same bolt pattern, fits perfectly, and about half the weight. I put 3 spraycan tops underneath it to bring the height up, so the boot floor mat stays flat.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
My BMW and MBZ both store a full size spare - upside down, held in place by a plastic 'bucket' that I use to hold LOTS off stuff. Came with the car, but would fit most any wheel of the right size.

Robert

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My BMW and MBZ both store a full size spare - upside down, held in place by a plastic 'bucket' that I use to hold LOTS off stuff. Came with the car, but would fit most any wheel of the right size.

Robert
I think BMW also did a spare wheel well fuel can....

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I'd love to find one of those tanks closer to home. Matt, I think I was once told that a Ford Focus space-saver does the trick. Dirt cheap from a scrap yard, too.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Is there one that fits the front position and the rear position?

Otherwise you may need to change 2 tires.

When you get a flat, where do you put all the stuff you had stored in with the space-saver spare?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It is my understanding that the hub diameters are different front to rear on a Spider. I don't remember which way it goes but if the wheel fits on say the front, it may not fit on the rear as the center hole is not large enough. Or the other way around?

I know I've read that Mustang alloy wheels must either have the back of the center hole releived to allow the back of the wheel to fit flush up against the mounting flange. Or use a spacer.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
I think its the back hub center that is slightly larger or protrudes from the flange further and at a right angle to the wheel mounting surface. I have used mustang alloys for over 20 years and they fit good, but when mounted on the rear the protruding hub center makes a small circular crease in the aluminum rim mounting face where the rim was factory chamfered at a 45 degree at the hub hole.
No spacers, no releiving, but these are 15x7x22.5 offset 10 hole rims from mid 80s to early 90s Fords (Mustang, Capri, Thunderbird etc...)
My thoughts on the space saver rim were to buy a used Turbina magnesium rim and mount a 165 80 14 on it. Rim weighs 12 lbs and with the 165 weighs about what a spacesaver weighs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts