Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Lime green and funny biscuit were popular colours in the '70's, as was that Gunstone Orange colour. A friend owned a 1750 GTV which was originally European Orange, (bright orange), now of course....... resale red, like all the others.

Ciao
Greig
Windy Port Elizabeth
@AlfistiSA, Hi Greig

If you see this: I was wondering of you perhaps have a photo of your friend's European Orange 1750 GTV mentioned above (post # 103)? Or perhaps a photo of a Gunston Orange car from South Africa? My dad and I are restoring a 1970 1750 GTV that was originally orange. Any other info you may have on orange South African cars would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Hi Jannes

I see you are in NZ now... trust all is well with you & the family

The orange car had been repainted resale red like all the others, there were traces of orange under seats and the rear parcel shelf. No pictures I'm afraid, but check out Google images of Montreal's and Lambo Muira's for orange cars - same colour in the '70's

Groete
Greig

·
Registered
403 Posts
... check out Google images of Montreal's and Lambo Muira's for orange cars - same colour in the '70's
Thank you Greig. All is well on this side of the globe. Looking forward to our trip to SA in September.

Great, we'll look at the colour codes for the Montreal orange then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I am some 12 years behind in this post, but for those still interested please contact the two major Alfa Romeo Clubs in South Africa, namely Alfa Romeo Club of South Africa, Johannesburg and the Cape Alfa Romeo Club, Cape Town, these are the oldest two clubs which came into existence during the mid 60's

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Seeing as I live here, I suppose that I should climb in to this thread somewhere... :rolleyes:

Yes, we had the only assembly plant outside of Italy to produce Alfa's, (excluding the one in South America, where the name of the vehicle was changed).

The first to be locally assembled, from a CKD kit was the '60 Giulietta Ti G.d. or Guida Destra / RHD.

The Ti was followed by the RHD 105 Series Giulia sedans and the RHD 106 Series 2600 Berlina's. We still have the Factory Records for these cars.
Ciao
Greig
Hi Greig, an old post but a good one. I'm still trying to find out when the G.d. (RHD) 105-series Giulia TI was first released. Fusi shows the same type number for the CKD Giulia TI and for the G.d. Giulia TI (tipo 105.09) with the CKD car showing in 1962 production and both the CKD and G.d. cars in 1963. So, were the 1962 CKD cars LHD or RHD or a mix? And were any of the South Africa-assembled cars exported to the UK and other RHD markets? The new Alfa Historico people are no help with this, so I'm hoping your expertise can stand in for theirs.

Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alfa romeo 2000 GTV's exported to Australia

I don't think it has been mentioned in any posts on this thread, but here in Australia we received a small number of 105 series 2000 GTV Autos in 1975 out of South Africa.

As far as I can tell (from looking at these cars over the years) the "normal" Italian 5 speed 2000 GTVs stopped coming in late 74 (probably still in dealers for part of 75) and the 2000 GTV Auto, designated 105.22A (and high rhd chassis numbers starting with 241...) with the 3 speed ZF out of the 2000A Berlina came here during 1975, just prior to the Alfetta GT being introduced.

A number of these Auto GTVs have been converted to manual, and I think they had special 105.22A plates in the engine bay as well, but don't quote me.

I also have a feeling that Alfetta 2000 Autos that came here for evaluation (I think the total number was about 9) were also sourced from SA. (This was 1980/81.)

Can anyone comfirm this?
Hi PRN31,

I'm very interested in this story. We have a 2000 GTV which seems to be one of the South African cars. The Australian compliance plate states it's an auto, however the gearbox is a manual. Do you have any more information on how to accurately identify a South African car? The information we received from Alfa Romeo says the market destination is Johannesburg South Africa. Do you know if that was the case for all South African Alfa Romeos which were later exported to Australia?

Kind regards,

Wim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alfa romeo 2000 GTV's exported to Australia

From Patrick O'Brien's article I quoted above, I have about 40 Alfetta 2000s exported to Australia in 1975. They had to replace the parts where "made in South Africa" was written on.
Hi GTV2000,

I would be very interested in a copy of the Patrick O'Brien article. Do you have it? I don't mind if it's not in English.

Kind regards,

Wim

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
Re the orange car questions, I have pics of John Smith's Burnt Tangerine Super and the ? red 1600 GT Jr, which looked orange to me but had a red name. But you might have pics of those too from the tour.
Andrew

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re the orange car questions, I have pics of John Smith's Burnt Tangerine Super and the ? red 1600 GT Jr, which looked orange to me but had a red name. But you might have pics of those too from the tour.
Andrew
Thank you Andrew. Yes, I also have pictures of the burnt orange Super, thank you.
I think the 1600 GT Jr is painted in Rosso Farina, which contains quite a bit of orange pigment.
In the end we’re likely to go with Dark Ochre, which is a nostalgic colour for our family on the 1750 GTV. The Alfa Documentation Centre in Italy has no records on the chassis number so we are free to choose any colour combination.

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
Dug out these two pics from Sept 2018 of VIN plates on a white 1750 Berlina I saw (John Smith took me there, don't recall the owner's name) in Somerset West.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
Three more. First two are John Smith's Giulia Super. Second pic is upside down but numbers are legible this way. Third is Greig Smith (and Dad's) Giulietta TI. Same trip, Sept 2018.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
South African Vehicle Registrations

Dear South African Alfisti,

I'm asking again for your help regarding SA Alfas: is there a resource where one can see how many cars of a certain make were registered new in South Africa in the 70s and 80s?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
As earlier posts on this thread. I understand that Mercedes South Africa now owns and operates from the old East London Site , they have records for all cars assembled there in the 1960s

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
As earlier posts on this thread. I understand that Mercedes South Africa now owns and operates from the old East London Site , they have records for all cars assembled there in the 1960s
Yes Mercedes Benz South Africa owns the old Car Distributor's Assembly (CDA) Plant and they managed to save most of the old production ledgers which are now in their on site museum.

They were able to tell me that my '61 Giulietta Ti, 10109*00647 fitted with engine 00109*00784 in colour 'Vana Green' was manufactured on the 3/11/61 and sold on the 7/11/61 to McKinley's, who must have been a Dealer in the '60's

Ciao
Greig

141 - 156 of 156 Posts