Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Here is a 1970 1750 GTV that was built in South Africa. It has the small tail lights and late style bumpers.
When was that photo taken? It still has the old Johannesburg registration plates which changed at the end of the 1970s I think.

It looks like it has the same hubcaps as I my South african built Giulia. See post 114 above.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
re hubcaps.
Its 1750, in Europe, with the large plastic ring on the hub. First series 105, in Europe, had the small plastic ring. Junior did only have a pressed hub without the plastic ring.
From the 2000 was introduced, 1970, in Europe, we got the Sombrero hubs.
The one in post 114, isn't it a Junior, it has only one front light, and it seems as it is missing the plastic, ring on the hubs. All based on European spec.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
re hubcaps.
Its 1750, in Europe, with the large plastic ring on the hub. First series 105, in Europe, had the small plastic ring. Junior did only have a pressed hub without the plastic ring.
From the 2000 was introduced, 1970, in Europe, we got the Sombrero hubs.
The one in post 114, isn't it a Junior, it has only one front light, and it seems as it is missing the plastic, ring on the hubs. All based on European spec.
My car, the one in post 114, is a South African built Giulia 1300 Super.

To me, the hubcaps look slightly different from the ones on the Spider Junior. The hubcaps on my car don't look as rounded, or convex, as the hubcaps on the Spider Junior. It may just be an optical iilusion.

·
Registered
573 Posts
When was that photo taken? It still has the old Johannesburg registration plates which changed at the end of the 1970s I think.

It looks like it has the same hubcaps as I my South african built Giulia. See post 114 above.
Photo was taken yesterday in a Chicago suburb. The owner put the old registration plates back on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
GTV6 3.0 was built in SA in 84 and 85 from what I understand the dashboard on an 84 model differed from that on an 85 model and that was 1 way of telling them apart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recently bought a 1600 gt junior complete running car without papers(deregistered).the guy sprayed it black.underneath the black,the original colour,turqouse.i am going to let a decent panelbeater spray it again this original turqouse,colour.you normally only see red juniors,so this will be a good chance.

Regards Nico

·
Registered
3 Posts
The South African GTV6 3.0

by Toy de Carvalho

Toy de Carvalho,
Jhb , South Africa,

Excellent summary ... maybe I could add something about real reasons why ARSA was closed down (my dad was one of the last men standing and he actually negotiated the sale of the Rosslyn factory ... at one stage Bugatti was considering re-birth from that plant) but I don't think it serves any purpose.

I was just trying to revive my memories about Sarel Van de Merwe Ford Cortina XR6 Intercepter , I have a vague memory about a V8 engine upgrade to keep up with Alfas and BMWs when I stumbled in one of those Group One epic races, I didn't watch the end yet, I hope Nicolo' won that duel, but doesn't really matter.
I wanted to share that link and then download the video so I can watch it on proper TV at the correct moment and with the right atmosphere.

... beautiful days those Alfa Boys days :beta1::excl:

Maurizio

·
Registered
3 Posts
I couldn't resist and I watched it ... GTV6 2.5 ... epic battle ... I don't want to spoil the suspense: those were the greatest days of racing ever!:wink2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A blast from the past....hope the attachment follows
Hi Fomtom,

We're looking to rebuild the old 84/85 championship winning GTV6 3.0l - do you have any more pics of:
1) 1984 GTV6 3.0l championship winning red car 6 (Abel D'Oliviera car)
2) 1985 GTV6 3.0l cars 1 & 6

We're wanting to get the livery as close to original as possible - any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
South African Giulietta 116s

The Alfetta GT's (1.8 litre) were imported, likewise the first of the 2000 GTV's, being the chrome bumper cars, soon after this, Alfa SA began producing the chrome bumper GTV's locally. All RHD plastic bumper 2000 GTV's as well as the 2.5 GTV 6 and the 3.0 GTV6's were produced locally.

Alfa SA didn't bring the 1.6 Alfetta out here, but there were at least two privately imported 1.6 Alfetta GT's that I know of.

Ciao
Greig
Sunny South Africa
I'm writing a book about the 116 Giulietta saloon and that's the main reason why I'm into this forum: the Centro Documentazione holds no records about SA, and I see you are one of the experts on the matter. While I could piece together sufficient info about the "Group One", I just can't find anything supporting the existence of Turbo and V6 Giulietta built in South Africa. Could you please help me out? Thank you!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm writing a book about the 116 Giulietta saloon and that's the main reason why I'm into this forum: the Centro Documentazione holds no records about SA, and I see you are one of the experts on the matter. While I could piece together sufficient info about the "Group One", I just can't find anything supporting the existence of Turbo and V6 Giulietta built in South Africa. Could you please help me out? Thank you!
Check out period press or Italian TAM. The last one had technical characteristics of Giulietta Turbo. Also I've never heard about V6 version.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Talk to the South African Alfa Romeo owners clubs

Al pre 1968 Knock down kit records exist in Mercedes South Africa because they took over the old East London plant that assembled Alfas. Have not been able to find anything after that for my 1969 SA 1750 GT

Paul Williams
National Chairman:
ALFA ROMEO OWNERS' ASSOC of SA
Sent: 02 March 2017 01:41 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: Alfa Romeo, East London

·
Registered
140 Posts

i remember a private company Alpine Developments doing the factory turbo Alfetta saloons (seem to recall it was a 159 turbo) but don't recall a 116 Giulietta turbo - not saying I am correct, just can't remember.

The Group 1 Giulietta had hotter cams, possibly a ported head, a few Group 1 silver stripes down the side and lovely slotted campagnolo wheels which I am still looking for!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i remember a private company Alpine Developments doing the factory turbo Alfetta saloons (seem to recall it was a 159 turbo) but don't recall a 116 Giulietta turbo - not saying I am correct, just can't remember.

The Group 1 Giulietta had hotter cams, possibly a ported head, a few Group 1 silver stripes down the side and lovely slotted campagnolo wheels which I am still looking for!
Yes, thank you. By chatting with some of you I learned that there was no SA Giulietta Turbo, at least not a factory one, which is what I'm interested to.
By the way, the book will hopefully be out on Amazon by the end of August, will keep you posted!

121 - 140 of 156 Posts