Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thanks, I'll resend today.

To add a little fuel to this fire: Interestingly, I was re-reading the Alfa Romeo Spider Gold Portfolio yesterday, and came across two tests by SA 'Car' magazine. The first was for a RHD '78 Spider and the second was for a LHD Aerodynamica. In the second test the lead-in text described how both of these Spiders were of SA manufacture... I'll reproduce the actual text, and provide a more accurate reference tomorrow, when I have a little more time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
As promised, here are the salient quotes from the two road tests that I mentioned in yesterday’s post. Both are quoted from reprints of road tests in Alfa Romeo Gold Portfolio 1966-1991 published by Motorbooks International, ISBN 1 85520 1364.

Car South Africa March 1978
Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Veloce Road Test
“Designed on classic lines by Pininfarina, it has been made available by Alfa Romeo South Africa in very small volume, as a locally assembled model, as a treat for motorists…”
“The current version has been available for just over two years, now, and was originally priced at R8000 at the end of 1975. Its price has moved up in line with all car prices, and now stands at R12500.”
“Since 1975, only about 300 Spider Veloces have been built in the Republic, and we were lucky enough to borrow a well-used works-owned car recently for testing”.
The test car was fitted with Dellorto DHLA-G carbs, a 4.1:1 diff, 165-14 HR rated radial tyres and was supplied by Alfa Romeo South Africa, Johannesburg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
And the second:

Car South Africa March 1985
Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce Road Test

“Our last test of this long-toothed classic had been way back in March 1978 – 12 years after the car had been launched at Geneva in its original 1.6 litre, then unnamed form. That had been one of the last right hand drive cars built in this country – a year after rhd production had ended in Italy – and there had been a few significant mechanical mods since then which must have affected both performace and drivability”.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hardly posted the above when the following dropped into my inbox from Archivio Storico:

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 2472895 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider RHD (105.27), manufactured on the 27th December 1976 and sold on the 29th December 1977 to Alfa Romeo from London.

No further information available about this car.

Curioser and curioser!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks, I'll resend today.

To add a little fuel to this fire: Interestingly, I was re-reading the Alfa Romeo Spider Gold Portfolio yesterday, and came across two tests by SA 'Car' magazine. The first was for a RHD '78 Spider and the second was for a LHD Aerodynamica. In the second test the lead-in text described how both of these Spiders were of SA manufacture... I'll reproduce the actual text, and provide a more accurate reference tomorrow, when I have a little more time.

We lived in South Africa and in 1982, won a Alfa Spider (LHD 1982 model) in a competition. My Dad found out afterwards that an old friend of his (an offical Alfa Service Dealer) actually imported the car direct from Italy. Later that year, I was "forced" to work at said dealership before I was allowed to drive the car.

I was not aware of Spider prodcution in SA but coud lbe wrong. Certainly the alfasud (later versions badged as the Alfa Export) and sprint were prodcued there but no sure about the 33.

Arguti

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Does anyone know if Alfetta GTV`s were produced in South Africa? (I assume they were as GTV6`s were made there). We have an Australian first registered car-1977 version, which Alfa archives can find no trace of and the vehicle is different in a couple of body & trim items from UK market versions we normally see here which got me wandering if the South African assembly plant had built any cars for export, particularly for relatively nearby Australia.

Richard J

`69 GTJ, `74 GTV 2000, `77 Alfetta GTV, `81 Alfasud Ti, `84 GTV6, `88 33 1.7QV, `90 164 3 litre.

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
The Alfetta GT's (1.8 litre) were imported, likewise the first of the 2000 GTV's, being the chrome bumper cars, soon after this, Alfa SA began producing the chrome bumper GTV's locally. All RHD plastic bumper 2000 GTV's as well as the 2.5 GTV 6 and the 3.0 GTV6's were produced locally.

Alfa SA didn't bring the 1.6 Alfetta out here, but there were at least two privately imported 1.6 Alfetta GT's that I know of.

Ciao
Greig
Sunny South Africa

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Re: those SA assembled stainless bumpered Alfetta GTV`s-any distinguishing points? I realise coming from NZ that there were trade sanctions against SA so product made in the Republic may well not of had made in SA stamped anywhere. I know however from SA Bertone coupes and other Alfas that there are differences because of local content.

Richard J

·
Registered
22 Posts
South Africa's Alfa Romeo bed side stories.

Hi and Happy 2007 to all.

I was introduced to this forum recently and having read most of the postings, on the history of Alfa Romeo South Africa (ARSA) have some of my own to add.
In my study the of Alfa Romeo world, I have come across many discrepancies and contradicting statments, not only in other parts of the world, but also in South Africa, having learned that in many occasions, the frase ''never say never'' applies perfectly.

I eco what ''barryh'' said on entry # 19. I doubt any Spiders were manufactured in S A. and also suspect many shady deals happened at the time ARSA closed it's plant in 1985, and even before. It's rumored that cars were sold via the back door, resulting in difference between official and unofficial figures of the total number of cars made by ARSA at Brits.
According to ARSA, 212 GTV6 3.0 were made in SA. However 174 were officially sold in 1984 and 68 in 1985, 30 more than the manufactured figures.

As for the GTV6 2.5, 129 were sold in 1982, 228 in 1983, 55 in 1984 and 65 in 1985.

I believe Alfa Romeo also assembled cars in Spain and Ireland.

Toy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome Mr da Carvahlo...Barry Henning

Guys,Toy is a die hard Alfa junkie..and has written many papers on Alfa.He is a living legend here..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Spiders were brought in CKD,ie:knock down packages..They were partially assembled here to comply with the then state regulations..All cars then had to have x amount of local content,be it labour or parts.
No body panels were ever struck for any of the spiders in S.A.

The factory at Brits also ceased production mid 1984 and the goal then was to get rid of the cars in stock.A brand new 30l GTV6 cost R27995.00 then.They could be had for as little as R22500.00.

I personally bought a lot of new stuff,and was offered brand new v6,4cyl,boxer engines for next to no money.

Perhaps Toy has more on this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Alfa Romeo in South Africa

Hi Barry, Toy and young Esterhuyzen (and everybody else)

I just happened to stumble across this forum.

The real person to ask about the Spiders built in SA (be it from CKD, SKD or other) will be Eric Esterhuyzen. He was an engineer at Alfa in Brits (and the father of Esterhuyzen, reigistered on this forum). I saw Eric just two weekends ago, at the Alfa National gathering at Kyalami. Eric joined Alfa in Brits just after production was moved from Nissan in Rosslyn to Alfa's own factory. (In fact, it was not even Alfa's own factory, it was a company (Brits Engineering Works) owned by Dr Vito Bianco who owned the building and ran Alfa SA nearly like a franchise)

Barry, good to hear from you again. Often wondered where you had disappeared to.

I only have one newish Alfa (155 V6), the other two are a 1750 Berlina and 1600 Giulia Nuova. See some pics here.

http://community.webshots.com/user/malcolmvancoller

Regards

Malcolm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Still on Spiders.

Guys, I've spoken to Eric on the subject and according to him, the Spiders arrived complete in crates in SA, from Italy and were given the final assembly touches at Brits.
It appears that the LHD Spiders sold better than our usual RHD models.

Regars to all.

Toy

·
Registered
9 Posts
GTV6 SA 3.0 Homologation Papers

I recently enquired with MSA as to the availability of Homologation papers for the early 80's South African 3.0 GTV6. Although they were very helpful and sent me a copy of a contemporary magazine article, they do not have a copy in their archives.

Would anyone know where I could get my hands on a set?

·
Registered
373 Posts
'South African' built Alfa Romeo's

Dear Mvcoller, Toydc and Esterhuysen,

Please have a 'look' at the GTAm thread under the GTA, GTAJunior and GTAm thread.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Just for fun, heres an SA built '72 Berlina 2000 that i used to own.

It somehow found its way to Australian outback Queensland sometime in its life, the underside showed evidence of travelling many dirt roads but the body was 100% rust free due to the dry climate.

The different colours found in SA built Alfas explain why nobody knew what the original colour was! It had a resale red respray but the original colour appeared to be the metallic turquoise like this 1750 below? Has anyone seen another one this colour?

Attachments

81 - 100 of 156 Posts