Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping some of the Alfa braintrust can help point me in the right direction on this one before I start taking stuff apart.

I rebuilt my engine and put a rebuilt transmission in my 74 GTV a while back. (I'm a rookie and this wasn't without help.) Since then, I have a high pitched squeal when the clutch is engaged. It isn't super loud but it is consistent. When I just barely put pressure on the clutch pedal, the sound goes away. I hear it when I am driving around and I hear it when I am sitting in my garage the the clutch engaged and the transmission is in neutral.

I learned after I put everything back together that I should have soaked the copper crankshaft bushing in oil before putting it in. I didn't do that so I believe I need to take things apart and correct that, but it doesn't seem like that would be the cause of this high pitched squeal.

I have attached an audio recording of the sound while sitting in my garage with the transmission in neutral. You can just barely hear it but hopefully it helps describe the sound better. You will notice that the sound goes away at 2 seconds and comes back. That is when I rested my foot on the clutch petal.

(Looks like I can't upload a WAV file so here is a link to it.)

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
It won’t be the crank pilot bushing, with your foot off the clutch pedal in neutral or otherwise there is no relative rotation between the crank and trans input shaft.
Maybe the throwout bearing isn’t getting pulled back enough and it’s just lightly rubbing on the fingers?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I would think throw out bearing as well - also check the clutch slave cylinder maybe it doesnt depress all the way, old fluid?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bronze bushings don't need any extra lube if the alfa has a bronze one and your throwout bearing is starting to fail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts