Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was recently suggested in a thread to use ACME threaded rod to make the home-made spring compressors that are so often discussed here. I agree this would be a good idea, but an internet search proves surprisingly dissappointing. There are lots of sources of ACME threaded rod in commercial quantities (including custom made) but virtually nothing in small amounts. I've even thought of buying a couple of cheap scissor jacks and robbing the shaft (although I don't know where to get the nuts).

Anyone ever find this stuff somewhere ?

Cheers,
Jeff

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I bought mine at the local Ace hardware store.

They have several varieties of diameter and pitch in both SAE and metric right next to their bolt bin isle. 3 foot long hunks all ready to go out the door.

Likely any of the chain hardware stores would have some selection or another. (I know Hiawatha Fasteners can get the stuff in up to 8' lengths pretty cheaply and Home Depot had a few 3 footers)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Yea - I wanted Acme threads. Looks like McMaster has it all right.
Good tip....

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Jeff,

It's good that you found ACME threaded rods (and presumably nuts), but you don't really need this. I have changed springs numerous times using the common hardware store threaded rod. If you use the rods at all four corners of the spring pan, there is a good safety margin.

Thanks guys,

Yea - I wanted Acme threads. Looks like McMaster has it all right.
Good tip....

Cheers,

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts