Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am installing the side windows in my 105 Sprint GT (see photo), and am trying to figure out what goes between the glass and the channel. These are the windows on the two sides of the car, behind the roll-up windows.

The glass measures .180" thick, and the channel groove is .210-.215" wide, so it would seem that I would need rubber with a thickness of .015" (= 1/2 x (.210 - .180)) to fill in the space between the glass and channel. Several thicknesses of electrical tape might work, but I worry that it would become gummy and fall apart over time. I tried rubber from a bicycle inner tube, but it was way too thick (approx. .040").

Is .015" thick window setting material something that an automotive paint & supplies store might carry? Or, something that one of these generic restoration suppliers would stock (you know, the guys who sell fender welting for '39 Packards)? Or, will I need to go to a McMaster Carr?

Note: Yes, I know that the channel is attached to the body with 3 little bits of rubber + steel channel per side. I have that done. And I understand that you secured the glass to the channel before attaching the channel to the body - but, I'm doing it in the other sequence to ensure that I have the glass correctly positioned in the vertical plane.

Also, here are a few other photos of my recent progress on assembling the Sprint GT. And, yes, the Devil IS in the details.

ps - No, the first picture isn't a double exposure (can you do that with a digital camera? Is the term "double exposure" about as dated as "dialing the phone"?) That's my Duetto reflected in the side glass

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Rogerspeed:

Thanks for your reply, but that's not the area I am interested in. I'm just trying to join the glass to the SS channel. Centerline part #WS163 goes between the SS channel and the body - that is in front of the area I'm asking about. I have that rubber channel - plus the three little rubber hinges - installed.

Perhaps the attached sketch of the cross-section of the body, side window, and hinge will explain what I'm after. See the part drawn with ------'s.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I am installing the side windows in my 105 Sprint GT (see photo), and am trying to figure out what goes between the glass and the channel. These are the windows on the two sides of the car, behind the roll-up windows.
Thanks!
Just adhesive. Mines look like they were reattached with epoxy, some urethane windshield adhesive would do a great job. One brand we use is Sikaflex 255FC. In a pinch, any king of urethane house window sealer should do .

Photo is sort of blurry, between chrome and glass the camera had a hard time focusing.

BTW I just noticed that epoxy doesn't work.. this window is loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Jay, I misunderstood you first post, not the first time. Last time I did this process, didn't remove the ss strip from the window, I'll check the current project but, the way to do this is attach the strip to the glass (it is a press fit, .015 gasket material?), then attach the gasket (ws163) and hinges to the window, then attach that unit into the body, from your photo and description, looks like you have attached the gasket (ws163), hinges and ss strip to the body and are now trying to fit the glass into the ss strip.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
my last post wasn't very clear. Use rubber gasket material .015-.020 as a "u" around the glass, then press the ss strip onto the glass over that material (trim the excess) attach the hinges with the u-clips/hinges/gasket (ws163) to the window/strip, then place that window unit into the window channel and attach with the screws.

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rubber Gasket Material !!

Rogerspeed: You suggestion "rubber gasket material .015-.020 as a "u" around the glass" is GREAT! One of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments. I always think of gasket material as paper, but I suppose that auto parts stores carry it in rubber/neoprene as well.

I'm going to head on down to Orange Engine and see what they have. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Rogerspeed: You suggestion "rubber gasket material .015-.020 as a "u" around the glass" is GREAT! One of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments. I always think of gasket material as paper, but I suppose that auto parts stores carry it in rubber/neoprene as well.

I'm going to head on down to Orange Engine and see what they have. Thanks!

Cool, one other option, BMW part # 51-32-6-540-282 is basically the same part. It is used on a 1600/2002 as the buffer where the side roll=up window glass fits into the horizontal channel that holds the glass inside the door attached to up/down mechanism, the thickness is right, just would need to be trimmed, the dealer would have it in a day or two.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Nice detail work on your GT Jay!
I should have some rolls of the window adhesive in stock that I used on mine if memory serves. It's about 1/4" diameter round, soft, black and extremely sticky. When pressed between the glass and channel, it spreads around the glass and bonds both together. Much like the material used to bond the front windows in the later GTVs.
Randy

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know you're all on the edges of your seats, wondering how I solved this problem.

Well, I ended up buying some .015" thick neoprene sheet from McMaster-Carr. I cut it into strips about 1-1/2" wide X 12" long, smeared some trim adhesive on one face, wrapped it around the edge of the glass, smeared some more trim adhesive on the other face, and stuck it into the stainless channel. Let it dry, used a razor blade to trim off the excess material, and then removed the extra trim adhesive from the glass.

McMaster-Carr sells this stuff by the foot from stock that is 36" wide. I bought the minimum (1'), and used about 3", so I have enough left to do 11 more GT's. It cost me about $4.00 - heck of a deal. If anyone wants any, let me know.

101/105Guy's idea of using gummy, 1/4" adhesive probably would have worked too. He even lent me his roll of the stuff. But, someone else warned me that it might soften up on a hot day - just when I had the side window opened - and the glass might come out of the channel. 101/105Guy pointed out that the stuff dries/hardens with time, so once it has flowed and setup, it probably wouldn't soften, even with heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts