Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The local upholstery shops I buy my supplies from have been unable to find the equivalent material that was used by Alfa in the '70's to cover the "a" pillars on the bertone coupes. See images below. They seem to buy their vinyl from the same four distributors.

Is the material Alfa used or an equivalent still available? Is so, from whom? If not, what would you recommend using? Also, appreciated would be the name of a distributor or the manufacturer's name, with the name of the vinyl, or its part number.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bob,

Try Re-originals, or Classic Alfa. Hope this helps. I have a sample set from Re-Originals, and I will look and see if they have it.

Jonathan

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jonathan,

Classic Alfa said no. I'll try Matt at Re-originals.

I thought this might be a common problem when doing a "complete" restoration of a GTV.
I guess not.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
The local upholstery shops I buy my supplies from have been unable to find the equivalent material that was used by Alfa in the '70's to cover the "a" pillars on the bertone coupes.
I'm not getting what the problem is. Are the color, texture (or both) incorrect on the material that your local shop can get? Are they really that far off?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bob

You can try World Upholstery & Trim in CA. I recently received a sample of their Italian Vinyl that matched my 1974 Bertone vinyl exactly. They do sell the fabric by the yard.

I recovered my front seats with I believe is the exact same product (from Italy) that I sourced thru Daron Walker at Vintage Customs, in Tacoma WA.

Bill

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bill, I agree with you regarding the Italian vinyl sold by World Upholstery, it is an exact match in pattern and sheen. I found that Classic Alfa sells what appears to be the same Italian vinyl as World Upholstery for about half the price. And with the British pound falling against the dollar this Fall the vinyl from Classic Alfa is become less expensive by the week.

Jay, the vinyl that Alfa in the '70's used on the seats, center console, wheel arches and door cards is different from the vinyl that they used to cover the 'a' pillar, and to wrap around the 'b' pillar and the leading edge of the rear seat shelf. The 'a' pillar vinyl is about half the thickness of the vinyl used on the seat and has a backing with a very tight weave. I'm just curious if this type of vinyl is still avaliable and if so, who makes it. I'd buy it if it was available.

Bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bob,

I think I found the sample from Re-Originals. There are two different leather grain samples in my collection. This is the long grain that looks like yours. It's black, thin, and has a criss cross woven backing (part #20017/R). Earlier cars used this type of vinyl with a stipple grain finish against the interior metal surfaces. Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts