Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before everyone groans and thinks, "Oh great, another tire discussion....", please know that I did search the forum and couldn't find a timely answer to my question:confused:.

My 89 Veloce presently has non-OEM sized tires (195-65 R14), and they are mismatched to boot - one brand in the front, a different in the rear. They look dated as well, though I have yet to check the date codes. Needless to say, I want to replace them before driving season, and preferably with a true summer-rated tire. I've checked the usual online sources but can only find 'all season' in 185-70 R14. Does anyone know of a good source for this size in a summer/performance tire? I'm not particular about manufacturer, but more concerned with quality - I'm not looking for a cheap tire. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I am interested to hear what people say as there are no summer only tires for the 195 60 15 size that I can find.

Hopefully there are options in the 195 65 14.

Thanks

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,497 Posts
There ain't much (or anything) left. Even in 15" for the phonedial alloys I couldn't find a summer performance tire any more. On the GTV in 185/70R14 I went with General Altimax RT43, an all-season touring tire with decent enough test results. The Michelin Defender T+H might also be a good choice.

On the plus side any of these tires are probably way better than these cars came with 30-50 years ago, and are likely more than adequate for the power level and chassis.

·
Push hard and live
9,606 Posts
Why not the CN36 185 70 14? This is in the manual as OE fit, and the US distributor cautions against using them in cold weather. Dougal, with Longstone Tyre, described them as a “summer” tire.

I like mine.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Why not the CN36 185 70 14? This is in the manual as OE fit, and the US distributor cautions against using them in cold weather.
THIS! The Pirelli CN36 has an old-school tread pattern, lettering and profile but modern super soft rubber. You can deform the tread blocks with your fingers they're so soft and grip like mad. They upped the grip on my car all around but particularly at the rear - dialing out oversteer and completely eliminating the snap oversteer I had with my last set of tires. And somehow they reduced steering effort at parking lot speeds to boot! I can't say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not the CN36 185 70 14? This is in the manual as OE fit, and the US distributor cautions against using them in cold weather.
I looked at those. Just a little out of my price range. There must be a better price/performance compromise. If not, then I'll settle on a good all season. In the end, I'm not taking the car on a track.....

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I don't think so in 185/70-14. In tires that are close to that size there are certainly cheaper tires but not a better price/performance compromise. Anything else is going to be a rock hard all season with a 70k mile warranty.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the plus side any of these tires are probably way better than these cars came with 30-50 years ago, and are likely more than adequate for the power level and chassis.
Good point. With further searching, I'm resigning myself to a good all season after all. Vermont roads are absolutely horrible, and a retro Pirelli, at about $160 a pop, would get shredded in no time. Uniroyal Tiger Paw II looks interesting. I'd like to keep to OEM size, and see if that affects perceived speed/rpm readings I get now with my present tires.

·
Push hard and live
9,606 Posts
Ah. When you said you weren’t looking for a cheap tire, I figured you wanted to tick off the right boxes. Good handling, looks, low noise, OE specified, and remarkably low turn-in force required.

I get mine from Longstone, but I heard that the Tire Rack source was cheaper.

one thing to consider with Spider tires... Typically they’ll age out before wearing out, so on a per-year basis, not much money.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
There's really not much in 14. In 15, there's a decent number of high performance summer tires available in 205/50/15. Hankook RS4, Bridgestone RE-71R, Toyo R888R. You'd want a 15x7 wheel to run them (sold by various outlets relatively inexpensively, including Vick).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get mine from Longstone, but I heard that the Tire Rack source was cheaper.
Well, I guess "cheap" is relative. I'm looking at around $100 to spend - kinda mid-range. I looked at tirerack, but they don't carry the Pirelli in OEM size. The spare is a Pirelli 5, which must be the original.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Well, I guess "cheap" is relative. I'm looking at around $100 to spend - kinda mid-range. I looked at tirerack, but they don't carry the Pirelli in OEM size. The spare is a Pirelli 5, which must be the original.
Lucas Tire is the US source for those.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Or, you could go with Vredestein 165-14. I run them on my GTV. Original size steers easy and they are H speed rated unlike the lower S rating of the Pirellis. Same tire used on early Porsche 911 so performance is up for it !!

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I have these on my Spider:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts