Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a Milano box (4.10 rear end) and am wondering if second gear is still available anywhere. All I've found so far is synchro rings and sliders.

Thanks in advance.

·
Richard Jemison
7,729 Posts
Gears

I assume you are talking about the "2nd" gear on the main (pinion) shaft.
If tou can give me the tooth count and diameter I can most likely supply it. I ask for that info as gear runs even with the same ratios are slightly different. Particularly the 1.96 gear versions!

If the gears radial meshing teeth and shaft bushing are good, why are you changing gears? The dogs are removable.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you just solved my problem. Do the dogs come off with a little heat? Thanks very much btw.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Is there a source fro these dogs? The first gear is slightly different in that there is a notch cut out of the dog. Similarilly for the 105-115 gears. Again, same dogs except 1st gear. I've removed several dogs from my Spider gear boxes using shape chisels, a map gas to slightly heat the gear and tapping and prying tools. But, another gear box has to be sacrificed to get the replacement dogs. Does anyone have a source of replacement dogs. The inner bushings used to be available from ALFA.

·
Richard Jemison
7,729 Posts
Dogs

You use 2nd-5th type on 1st gear. I have dogs with syncros, but you can also buy them from Larry at APE. There are 2to sizes measure inner opening before ordering.
Rj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts